Saturday, February 26, 2011

The Watcher

If Shav is very tired when I put him in his crib, he will lie down quietly while I tuck his blanket under his chin.  More commonly these days, however, he'll immediately stand up, watch me every second until I blow him a kiss and wave goodbye and shut the door behind me, and then he'll go to the window by his crib and look outside.  He watches everything that happens:  the new neighbors going into their house, the pine tree blowing in the strangely-warm-for-February breeze, the cars and trucks going by on the road, Grandpa and Grandma loading things in their pickup to take to recycling.

One afternoon I was spreading ashes from our woodstove onto our front lawn, and I looked up at his room.  I saw his cheerful face peeking out at me through the blinds.  
He even waved at me.  :)
My sweet baby, you are always watching something.  So alert and bright, your beautiful blue eyes don't seem to miss a thing until they finally close in sleep.  But did you know that often, so often, I am watching you?

1 comment:

Homeschool on the Croft said...

And what a gorgeous view you have, Davene, when you watch him!