Wednesday, February 16, 2011

If Any of Our Boys Becomes a Barber, It Will Be...

...Tobin.  I can see his business card now:

Haircuts by Tobin Fisher, 
Master Barber,
with 20 Years of Experience

"What?" they'll ask. "How can you have 20 years of experience when you're only 23 years old?"

"Simple math," he'll answer. "I did my first haircut when I was three."

And so he did, this very morning.  

He has developed quite a fascination with scissors recently, and I've discovered his handiwork a few times already--with things as meaningless as a Ziploc bag and with things as possibly meaningful as a receipt (I think the one he destroyed wasn't important, but his hand could have landed on one that was) and with things as cherished as the plastic ribbons that hang from the handlebars of our indoor tricycles (which displeased certain of his brothers mightily).  Just a day or two ago, I found him exploring the contents of Daddy's drawer in our downstairs bathroom; and when I saw him reach for the pair of barber scissors there, I told him that they were not toys and he was not allowed to play with them.  Apparently cutting hair doesn't qualify as "play" because, despite my warning, he was caught red-handed this morning.  This was the scene that greeted Jeff as he came downstairs (and I apologize for the blurry picture; it's the best Jeff could do under the circumstances):  
Before Jeff discovered him and demanded that he surrender his scissors, Tobin managed to make a few good cuts of his hair.  See evidence below:
It's a good thing Jeff was already planning to give Tobin a haircut today; but even with the close cut Jeff gave him, there are still two obvious spots where Tobin's work is still visible.  Oh well, it's only hair.  

At least he didn't cut more.
At least he chose his own head to practice on, and not one of his brothers' (which would have certainly been Shav's).
At least he didn't poke an eye out.
At least now we know to put the scissors well out of his reach.
At least his resume is going to look impressive.  ;-)

I suppose sooner or later, nearly every family with young children deals with the crime of Illicit Haircuts.  My own parents had their turn with it when my sister, ten years my senior, cut off my long, long braids while my parents were gone.  I was about seven or eight at the time, and I can't remember for sure but I suppose I thought it was fun.  Now I can hardly imagine my parents' horror upon their return to find me shorn.  Guess what?  My sister, who now is employed as a claims adjuster or some such thing in the insurance industry, worked for many years as a hairstylist.  

I guess there's hope for Tobin.  ;-)

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

My li' sis cut her hair one evening when Dad was in charge! We found the hair a few weeks later stuffed down the back of the dresser!

Anonymous said...

oo man that little boy! You are right at least his resume will look good.. and the other good thing it will grow back in in no time!

Sally said...

I'm sure he was just doing what his admirable Daddy does all the time, and people think it's good and wonderful when Daddy does it! (Yes, I know, there's the important part of disobeying instructions too...)

Elizabeth said...

Aha so cute. I guess it just runs in the family :P

We have a few stories of scissors and hair. But not as dramatic as loosing long beautiful braids! :)

Unknown said...

Oh! I wish he had picked a different way to practice his cutting skills.

Mamajil said...

Hysterical.....loved this post! We too have our hair cut stories....the firs involved Josh cutting his sister Megan's banana curls....well just 2 of them....
Tobin looked precious even if he was causht red handed!!!

Valerie said...

Yes, most curious boys go through this stage...my Nicholas experimented with a new (and very favorite!) dress of mine! Thankfully, it had a pattern in it and I could mend the neatly cut half triangle.
More on things boys love here: Thought you'd enjoy it!)
http://www.wired.com/geekdad/2011/01/the-5-best-toys-of-all-time/all/1#

Keep enjoying those precious boys!
Blessings,
Valerie <3

Sally said...

Davene, I never knew this story behind your first haircut (losing your braids). I knew I was shocked and disappointed when I saw you the first time without your braids. Anyway, it's funny now.

Margie said...

Can't wait to see what Tobin grows up to be. And I can't imagine the shock of your parents when they saw you without braids.

Just a quick note: Tell your sister I used to be a claims adjuster in my old life!

Homeschool on the Croft said...

Haha! I worked as a barber for some years, and my 'nightmare' was a mum coming in with her child saying, 'could you fix this?' !! Uhhh, how do you *fix* something that's not there?!!