Sunday, February 13, 2011

Speaking of Love #13



Romance is an attitude.  It is a man and woman being alive to one another...It is an atmosphere--a look that speaks more eloquently than words, a squeeze of the hand as you pass each other in a crowded room, a pat on the head or the shoulder for no particular reason.  Romance is an element of fascination and delight that culminates in a deep desire to experience all of life with the one we love.
~ Joan Winmill Brown & Bill Brown


In early October of 1996, during my fall break from college, I traveled to California for the first time.  To say Jeff was excited, as he awaited my arrival, would be *somewhat* of an understatement.  ;-)

Here are two letters he gave me when I arrived.  The first...

3rd of October 1996
Thursday

O my dearest Happy!

The day has finally arrived!  In retrospect it seems it came quickly...but many journal entries show how indeed this day did not come as quickly as I longed for it to.  Well, welcome to California!  I hope I can give you splendid memories here that will carry in your remembrance for the rest of life... I hope I can match at least the splendid time you showed me back east.

I hope you like California, my family, my friends, my life...me!  :)  I will do my best to give you joy and rest while you're here...and to bring you a deeper glimpse into my world.  I love you!

O!  I can't wait to hold you in my arms!  I've dreamt and day dreamed about this day a hundred times!  Welcome!  Welcome, my love, to California, to my "life," my arms again...

Completely yours,
Yaquir

And the second letter, with strong hints of what was to come...

3rd Oct 96
Thursday

O my Happy!

You may be wondering about these roses...and why I gave you two dozen divided into 3 groups of 8.  As 7 is the number of perfection, and is complete as 777, so I have delivered you 3 sets of 7 roses [previously - not during this trip].  Now, all at once, I give you "the number of new beginnings": 8.  It is the number of a new day, a new covenant, and as Greek letters are Greek numbers, Jesus, as the author of a new day and a new covenant, has a name that adds up to 888 in Greek.  
I=10
H=8
C=600
O=70
Y=200

So, I like to think this trip is the initiation of something brand new.

I love you!
Jeffrey

Indeed it was.  Before I left California to fly back to college in Pennsylvania, Jeff had proposed to me (again!), and this time I said yes.  That trip was certainly "the initiation of something brand new."  :)

3 comments:

Julie said...

So sweet! And I never know that 8 was the number of new beginnings. That's encouraging to me. You know very well why ;)

Margie said...

Gosh, he thinks about everything, doesn't he?

Davene Grace said...

Margie - yep, he does! :)