Thursday, February 3, 2011

Recipe Box - Snickerdoodles

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.  

So said Leonardo DaVinci; and if he's right, this unassuming little cookie is sophisticated indeed! 

Here's how you make simple, sophisticated snickerdoodles:

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

Mix together:
1 c. butter, softened
2 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla

Sift together:
3 c. flour
2 c. sugar
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. baking powder

Mix wet ingredients with dry ingredients just until moistened.
Cover and chill for one hour.  (Or, if you're in a hurry, don't.)
In a small bowl, mix together 2 Tbsp. sugar and 1 tsp. cinnamon.  
Shape dough into 1" balls.  
Roll balls in the sugar-cinnamon mixture to coat.  (Or give your kids this fun job.)
Place balls 2" apart on ungreased baking sheets.  
Bake for 9 minutes or until edges are lightly browned.
Don't overcook!  I personally think they're best when the middles are soft and a tiny bit gooey. (These cookies have nothing to do with the fact that my middle is soft and a tiny bit gooey.  Mere coincidence, I'm sure!)
Let them cool on the baking sheets for a minute or two before you remove them.
Try not to burn your tongue as you bite into the first one.  (Because it's hard to have self-control to wait until it's cooled!).
Have a glass of cold milk in hand, in case of a burned tongue.
Exhale a happy sigh.
Sense your blood pressure lowering.
Feel like a kid again!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

These are my favorite cookies! I will have to compare this to the recipe I use.. My mouth started watering just looking at the picture of the cookies :-)

Sally said...

Those are really good cookies. I'm sure my recipe calls for cream of tartar. I'll have to go check now, after reading your recipe.

Margie said...

We are making these tomorrow. (Another cold day, another day at home, and cookies = fun!) By the way, I laughed out loud at your comment about the soft middle...and I concur! (About my own soft middle, that is.)

Sarah-Anne said...

yum, yum, yum! i have a feeling that this is going to be the next snack i bring to my teen girl's Bible study... ;)
Sarah-Anne