Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Envying Jacob

I don't think I've ever envied Jacob* before.  After all, what's to envy?  Let's see...

~ he was born to parents that showed blatant favoritism
~ he arrived immediately after his twin brother with whom he had quite a bit of sibling rivalry (to say the least)
~ he was forced to flee for his life from said brother
~ he lived for years with the man who ended up being his father-in-law, a man who was just as sneaky and deceitful as Jacob himself
~ he married sisters - yikes! - because of trickery
~ he thought one of his sons - his favorite one - was killed by wild beasts...the good news is he wasn't...the bad news is his own brothers had sold him to slave traders who carried him off to another country
~ his entire family, which had grown to quite a large number, endured a famine that threatened their survival
~ and more

Nope, not much on that list looks appealing.

Of course, he was blessed with twelve sons, and he did have some pretty awesome encounters with God, so his life wasn't all bad.  But I've never really looked at him and thought, "Man, I wish I were him."

Recently I've been reading Genesis again, and I did discover one aspect of his life that I have to confess to envying him for.  He wrestled with God.  For one night.  And then it was over, the sun rose, Jacob was blessed, and the encounter ended (with Jacob limping for the rest of his life as his reminder of that heavenly wrestling match).

So why do I envy him?  Because I feel like I've been wrestling with God for months!  My wrestling match is more along the lines of, "Where are You taking us, God?  What is Your plan?  We are so ready to follow You, but we don't hear a clear call from You.  Where are You, my Shepherd?"  At times, I've thought I've glimpsed some direction from Him, and depending on what that perceived direction has been, I've wrestled within myself to get to a place of surrender to His will.  But then the door seems to swing shut, a huge rock gets dropped in the path, and we're back to the place of asking that most basic question, "What do You want from us, God?"

This struggle has gone on for so long that, by comparison, Jacob's wrestling match for just one night seems easy.  :)

I still wouldn't want to trade places with him though.  ;-)

* to be crystal clear, the Jacob we read about in Genesis, grandson of Abraham, son of Isaac, brother of Esau, father of the twelve tribes of Israel

6 comments:

Sally said...

I'm sorry the wrestling continues. I'll pray for you more in this area. (Note that Jacob did not let God go until God had blessed him (Gen. 32:26).)

Sarah-Anne said...

wow, praying for you, friend!
Sarah-Anne

Mamajil said...

Love your new spot!! coming from someone that has done her share of wrestling with God....Psalm 91 brings a lot of comfort....because when we Make HIM our refuge no harm will overtake us and no disaster will come near us...His faithfulness is our shield
Its good to know we can just Rest in Him (although that isn't always easy for me because I want to figure it all out and be in control of my days...Yikes for the true confessions!! )
I have to keep reminding myself that
as believers our steps are ordered by God so we don't need to know the plan we just have to get up every day and seek Him for today, I guess that is why they call it a daily walk...
Praying for you in this season!
Hugs!!!

Anonymous said...

Hi Davene:

I always read your blog, though I rarely comment. :)

Thank you for this post! I've been receiving strong direction from God in a certain area, and I'm afraid if I follow him, we won't have our financial needs met. Seems silly when it's written out, doesn't it? :) Thanks for your blog entry, and thanks to Mamajil for the 91st psalm--I'll have to go look that one up again.

Amber said...

Be still and know that I am God.

Sally said...

Do you take blog topic requests? Sometime I'd like to read a post on your thoughts for your future. You are such a wonderful mom, you focus on and enjoy the wonderfulness of this stage of life, and you give your children all of your life. So, my question is, do you ever think about (or even dream about) doing A, B, and C, when they are more independent, or when the last one has graduated from high school? How do you see your life being when they don't require the same intensity of parenting as they do right now? Sometimes I ponder (and I admit, dream) about the day when I won't be needed as intensely so constantly. I think I will want to re-enter the field of nursing, but then I also think I want to be a really good mom after my children are grown and definitely a really nice grandma. Will that take all my time and energy? Will it be possible to combine a profession with parenting or grandparenting at that stage? What are your thoughts?