Monday, February 7, 2011

Speaking of Love #7



Ah, love, you are my unutterable blessing...
I am in full sunshine now.
~ Robert Browning


Yesterday Jeff came to me with this dark green journal in his hand.
"Here," he said matter-of-factly, stretching it out to me, "you might like this for your blog project."

Indeed!

I had forgotten about the treasures hidden inside: places in Israel he had sketched, poems he had written for me, memories captured with ink on paper.  I'd rather have that than jewels any day!

Tonight I'll share just one of the gems tucked inside, a poem he wrote shortly before his first visit to my home in Virginia.


The Robin Outside Davene's Window

O if I was the robin outside your window,
The dawning of each new morning you'd be sure to know.
For I'd be whistling you a love song
Listening for your voice to sing along.
I'd pause to watch you rub the sleep from your eyes
And hear each one of your soft morning sighs.
Again I'd whistle my melody,
Until you'd looked out to acknowledge me.
Then I'd let my wings play in the wind,
In delight of the message your blue eyes send.
O just wanting you to gaze at me,
Seeing that with you I am happy.
O if I was the robin outside your window,
I'd be tempted to stay through winter, and never go.

13 Jul 96
J.R. Fisher
Saturday

As I read through that green journal last night, I thought, "Maybe for the first time in my life, I wish February could last longer.  I'm usually eager for it to be over because by this time in the winter, I'm tired of brown bleakness and I'm ready--so ready!--for spring.  But this year, how will I ever manage to post all the wonderful love letters that I'd like to include in this theme?  Without a doubt, February is just too short!"  :)

1 comment:

New Mom said...

That is so sweet! What a romantic man-- AND he has really nice handwriting :)