Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Speaking of Love #21 & 22

February is marching on, and I am falling behind.  But tonight, I'll get caught up--on this blog theme at least.  Too bad I can't say the same for my laundry!

Here are two humorous quotes to lighten things up:

An archaeologist is the best husband a woman could have.  The older she gets, the more interested he is in her.
~ Agatha Christie
(I sure am glad Jeff likes archaeology!)

Love is the thing that enables a woman to sing while she mops up the floor after her husband has walked across it in his barn boots.
~ Hoosier Farmer

As this month is nearing an end, I'm left with the thought of "But I have so many other letters from Jeff that I'd like to post!"  Well, I won't mourn just yet; I still have some more days to fill with these remembrances from Memory Lane.

Here's one from about two months before our wedding, when he was working in a barbershop in Coronado, California, and was living in the townhouse, right on the bay in Imperial Beach, that would be our first home.

4 Apr 97
Friday

Hello, my love,

I hope you are well.  I am okay.  I got my car back, and I went to Mexico and got one of the frames for my dad's painting (the one you like).  I also got a frame for the work Christopher got us ("I am my beloved's, my beloved is mine") and a frame for a photo of me from Israel.  Then I went to the grocery store and bought stuff like spaghetti, soup, bread, etc.  I hate spending money sometimes.  [Some things never change--hee hee!] 

Attitudes on the job have been a bit touchy - it is hard to keep peace with such emotional people.  I know I am emotional with you, but not with everyone - I certainly do my best not to take it to work with me...

I got 3 letters from you today, one on wrapping paper :), one depressing :(, and one other.  Thank you for writing me.  I am sorry about your depressed day.  You know, I have a zit on my forehead right now, can't hide it, and guys aren't supposed to wear make-up.  :)  Oh well, life is not contingent on outward beauty.

Davene, I do love you, I miss your laughter and company, I long to spend time teaching each other from the Bible.

A little more than an hour and work will be through - I think I will make that spaghetti tonight - it is what I am craving.  I need to run over my bills, too, and make sure they are still current with this move and all.  I might slip by Kim's to check mail there, too.

...

I am sorry this letter has been a little gloomy.  I fasted all day so far...not really on purpose...no food or water since last night...sometimes I do that.  I just get so busy I don't stop to take care of my body.

Thank you so much for the phone call - you have such a way of changing my day.  I love you.  It's  9:20, and I am just sitting down to some spaghetti I made for myself - I used your pan, and now I drink milk out of your Precious Moments cup and spaghetti off your plate...I miss you so much.  Even though I am not a big Parmesan cheese fan, I put some on my spaghetti because it's what you'd do.  I love you, Davene, and in many ways I want to be just like you.  :)

I figured out something I need:  a strainer!  I've been using lids and the cheese grater!  :)

Well, I did the dishes - quick and easy with just me.

I love you, 
Goodnight...
Jeffrey

The second one for tonight was written about a week before our wedding, and this letter did not have a gloomy tone at all!  :)

30 May 97
Friday

Shalom, Happy!

I slept in this morning and am feeling much better.  I went to Outback Steakhouse to pick up gift certificates, but they are closed until 4 pm.  So I will slip by there tomorrow after work.

I am very happy today.  Why?  I can't tell you all of why.  Part is because I will see you this Wednesday!  We will be getting married in a week!  And I am happy 'cause it's all true - our love, our commitment, it's unbelievably true!  :)  But at this moment I am especially happy because I found a small inexpensive surprise for you.  :)  This will be a surprise you'll never forget!  And you'll be shocked to get.  Actually, I'm so excited, it's hard for me to keep from telling you!  It's delicate though, and I am wondering how to take it with me, carry it on?  or put it in my baggage?  Hmm.  I would be devastated if I couldn't get it to you.  I looked all over San Diego for it - some places knew about it but couldn't tell me where to get it.  But today!  I found someone who said he thought he might have one at his house - and I will call him tomorrow to make sure...he seemed pretty sure...and if so...I will buy it off him tomorrow and pick it up.  Mysterious, aren't I?  You want a hint?  Sorry!  

O Baby, life seems like it can only get better as these next few days approach!  I am so happy you will be my wife.  You are my life, wife!  :)  (silly rhyme)

Anyway, it's after 2 pm and time for me to set up for work.  I'm feeling even better and I did not take any Benadryl or aspirin today [he was recovering from a HORRIBLE sunburn].  Thanks for caring for me.  I love you so much!

I can't wait for the rest of my life!

You are wonderful!
...beautiful!
...dazzling!

I love you!

Jeffrey

Wondering what the surprise was?  It was some pomelos.  Some day I'll write more about pomelos and their significance, and maybe then you'll understand why Jeff's gift was so special.  :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Davene, I am so glad I've found your blog. It's wonderful. And I keep trying to come up with something to say about the letters from Jeff. What a treasure you have in all of those! I think my favorite part is when he discovers he needs a strainer, though. Reminds me of my younger brother, a bachelor grad student, trying to cook rice with no pot lids...poor guy.
--Ruth