Sunday, February 20, 2011

Recipe Box - Russian Tea

Our beautiful warm weather that surprised us here in February has given way to cooler temps and high winds.  Oh, the winds!  There's a wildfire burning west of here, and the wind has pushed the smoke all over this area.  When I went outside yesterday morning, the smell of smoke was strong; but now it's even strong inside the house.  After a few days last week of being eager to enjoy the great outdoors, I am content once again to cozy up inside my home with a cup of something warm.

Besides hot chocolate, the other hot beverage I grew up drinking was this wonderful spiced tea, Russian Tea.  I'm not at all sure why it's named that.  When we lived in Israel and had "real" Russian friends (as an aside, about one in five Israelis is from Russia), I asked them about this tea -- was it familiar to them?   The answer was a resounding "no."  Not only would it have been nearly impossible for them to make it because of the unavailability of certain ingredients (like Tang and instant tea) in Russia, but also it didn't even remind them of anything they would have had there.  So the name remains a mystery.

The directions are not mysterious, however, nor difficult.  All you have to do is combine:
1 c. Tang
1/2 c. instant tea
1 1/3 c. sugar
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 tsp. ground cloves

Mix well, and store powder in a tightly sealed container.  When in need of something tasty and soothing to drink, mix about 4 teaspoons of powder with your cup of hot water--more or less, to taste.  I tend to like mine strong.  :)

Here's a secret that's a little embarrassing:  I also like to eat the powder plain, poured into the palm of my hand to be licked up or eaten straight from the spoon.  Weird, I know, but aren't we all a little strange?  Some of us just do a better job of hiding our quirks, while some of us hit the "Publish Post" button and give all our readers an opportunity to think how bizarre we are.  ;-)

8 comments:

Sally said...

Oh, that does sound good! I might have to get some Tang and instant tea sometime and make this to have on hand.

I don't think that it's so weird to eat a little of the powder. I like to taste the "crumbs" of cake mixes, lick beaters, and so on. It surely is childish and immature, but I still like it!

Anonymous said...

yum!!! Sounds great :-)

Maria said...

Hi,

Do you have a favourite Tang flavour? Which one works best for you?

:)

Unknown said...

Davene,

I have SO missed sitting down and reading your blog...I'll have to make a special date to catch up soon.

But, you've got to head to my blog and see what the Lord has done in the last 3 weeks in our family. I pray you're as blessed by it as we are!

Love
Christie

Mama Kelly aka Jia said...

I've seen variations on this recipe before. I've never tried it because I hated Tang as a kid. If you like it enough to eat by the spoonful, makybe its time for me to reconsider.

Davene Grace said...

Maria, to be honest, I didn't know there were different flavors of Tang. Are there? :) I guess the one I use is the original one!

I followed the link you left and browsed a bit. What a site!

Thanks for stopping by! :)

Maria said...

Hi Davene,

I found in the supermarket over half a dozen flavours of Tang: orange, lemon, strawberry, pinapple, etc.

You must be using the orange flavoured one.

I'm glad you enjoyed my website. Thanks :) I'm always on the lookout for new tea recipes and searching for those wonderful personal touches each person adds to their own recipe.
By the way, I love your teacup with the little butterfly on the inside.

Love,
Maria

Davene Grace said...

Maria, yes, I use the orange flavored one. I had no idea there were so many! Maybe I should pay more attention next time I'm grocery shopping. :)

That cup with the butterfly inside is one of my favorites, too. :)

Have a great day!