Monday, February 28, 2011

Speaking of Love #28

The last day of the month!  Usually I have no regrets when the end of February rolls around; full speed ahead into March - and spring!  But this year, I find the end of this month a little bittersweet because it's my last day to do my Speaking of Love theme.  I know I could continue it, but I also know that it took up a significant chunk of time during this past month--time that perhaps would be put to better use if I designated it for something else in March.  Something like getting on top of my email inbox again!  So tonight, for the last time, here is a love quote...


Life is short and we never have enough time for gladdening the hearts of those who travel the way with us.  O, be swift to love!  Make haste to be kind.
~ Henri F. Amiel


...and a love letter.  Actually, what I want to share tonight is some snippets from emails that Jeff has sent to me during the past few years.  He still occasionally writes a "real" love letter with pen and paper; but much more often, he jots a quick email that's full of love.  I cherish his words delivered in that fashion just as much as the ones written on the fanciest paper with the most elegant handwriting.  Just to know that he thinks of me...and loves me...  It is enough.  My heart is content.


~ January 22, 2008 (ten days after Tobin's birth)
I hope you have a good day.  I love you, and I know that you have a lot on your plate...but I don't know anyone who could do, or does do, a better job with our boys!


~ July 5, 2008 (written while in Israel)
I miss you too much... I love you so much... please tell the boys I miss them and wish I could be in two places at one time... I am looking forward to the refreshing time together again...


~ October 18, 2008
This email coupon is good for two hours of labor, redeemable once a week for the rest of life:
ideas of labor...
dishes, vacuuming, painting, yard work, laundry!, whatever.
Why?  Because I love you.
This coupon comes with no complaining attached, but a little forewarning is appreciated!  :)
Yaquir 


~ March 12, 2009
Hello there, blue eyed girl,
I just want you to know that I miss you this week...somehow it seems busy, and I don't feel super connected. Yet, I want you to know I am passionately in love with you.  You are my best friend, and the only one I want to spend my whole life with.
I love you,
Jeff


~ March 20, 2009
In my departure this morning...I wanted to kiss you and say I love you...but you were sleeping so deeply I thought it best to let you be.  I do love you, and I hope and pray that the Lord can help me to grow into the kind of husband and father you deserve!


~ February 10, 2010
I love you so much.  Davene, you are incredible...such a great mother, teacher, wife, friend, worker, and Christian.


~ January 3, 2011
That photo of you that Misty took...you look extremely beautiful...your smile, your hair, everything!  I am one fortunate man!

In our bedroom, on the wall above Jeff's closet, hangs a sign that says, "Real love stories never have endings."  Tis true; and I'm so grateful that even though this month is ending, I'll continue to Speak of Love with and for my beloved.  Because one month just isn't enough...  ;-)

4 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Such sweet sweet words Davene. What a beautiful example you both show. I loved your series and kind of sad it is over, but I can go back read all the posts I missed :P

Little Shav below looks SOOO CUTE with his hair cut.

Much love friend,

~Elizabeth

P.S. Oh and the new picture at the top is PRECIOUS!

Homeschool on the Croft said...

Davene...quick word, because I'm not at home, but I couldn't let this last 'love' post pass without commenting. It's been wonderful.

Has the 2-hr coupon really transpired? How wonderful would that be?

The header....well, what can I say? You know me and your wee boys! It's breathtakingly beautiful x

Leah said...

I've really enjoyed this series, Davene. Often married people feel like they need to tiptoe around us single people so as to not make us feel badly. That has not been the case with me at all! While reading the notes brought back memories for me & a sense of wistfulness at times, my feelings were overwhelmingly joyful. Having a peek into real life love stories like yours gives me hope that maybe I'll find something one day that I haven't yet found in my 22 years. : )

Davene Grace said...

Thanks so much, Elizabeth, Anne, and Leah!

Anne - to answer your question about the 2-hour coupon, well, it hasn't exactly happened like I thought it would. :) That's probably because I rarely try to redeem it! It's like this: Jeff works hard to provide for us; and in addition, he helps out so much around here as it is. He's a very involved father, and when I think about the time that he spends wrestling and tickling the boys, giving them baths, painting the chicken coop, cleaning the water trough for the animals, fixing the DVD player so the boys can occasionally watch a movie, and SO much more...well, I can hardly bring myself to say, "You promised me two hours a week!" :) He really gives so much more than that.

With that said, I do need to ask him what is the best way for me to communicate to him about various little projects I'd like his help with. I don't mind the fact that he doesn't help with laundry, for example; but I would like him to someday fix the wallpaper border in the big boys' room. However, when he comes home tired from a long day of work, physically tired from standing on his feet all day, and mentally exhausted from all the conversations he's had, the last thing I want to do is jump at him with a to-do list. :)

So, that's an area we're still working on in our marriage. :) Thanks for asking!