Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Speaking Of Love #2



The whole thing begins with a wondrous looking, a helpless staring, an irresistible compulsion simply to behold.  For suddenly there is so much to see!  So much is revealed when two people dare to stand in the radiance of one another's love.
~ Mike Mason


So much to see indeed!  I didn't want to take my eyes off Jeff in the early days of our relationship.  I knew I was falling for him when I realized how strongly my "radar" was set to detect his presence.  I could be in a room, engrossed in some activity; but as soon as he entered, I knew he was there and I tracked his every movement.  I noticed everything:  the significant actions, his insignificant ones, the seemingly insignificant ones that were (I was sure) actually significant, as well as the supposedly significant ones that were truly insignificant.  That radar was strong!

My radar is still working  :) and I spotted him by our pasture this foggy morning.  I snapped this picture through our kitchen window, and unfortunately the grid of the screen is visible.  Oh, well, I'll just imagine that it's a unique editing feature...or something.  :)
Before I left Israel, Jeff wrote, in the beginning of a little notebook with cherubs on the front, the love letter I posted excerpts from yesterday.  But he didn't stop with one love letter.  On the next page, he wrote this as an extended postscript.

Jonathan gave me one more saying, "The answer to a question unasked is always no."

So, without regret, I will utter the words tonight - that you may know me and the fullest of my sincerity.

You are very "real" to me and always will be.

I love you, Davene Grace (Fisher?)

Jeffrey

That Davene Grace Fisher part sounds so very normal now, but it certainly didn't then.  He was nothing if not gutsy!  ;-)

On the following pages, he wrote snippets that mentioned me from the prayer journal he had been keeping during the semester.  It was interesting, as I read it for the first time, to see how affection and love grew in his heart; and it's equally as interesting now to read it again...and remember...


********


18 Mar 96, Mon


I found a letter in my box from Davene ("Happy") thanking me for my return letter for the St. Patrick's Day card she gave me.  She is a kind girl, O God.  Help her in Your truth.


********


21 Mar 96


John keeps making brash comments that I am a "bee in spring time" - he has noticed Davene and I exchanging letters... John, as for his discernment, may have my spirit right...


********


24 Mar 96


I wanted to wake Davene in the night and ask her if she was warm enough [when we were staying on the roof of a youth hostel in Tel Aviv with some other friends from our school...there was a downpour of rain that night, and the tent-like structure over our heads left much to be desired as far as warmth and comfort!] - but no - if she is asleep, I suppose she is warm enough...


I have gotten pretty close to Davene - as a friend - and told her a lot of my life...


********


28 Mar 96


O Lord, thank you for...the beautiful organ concert I attended with Davene at Christ Church.  She is a pretty girl...


********


29 Mar 96


I bought flowers for Davene's b-day on April 1, she was delighted...


********


30 Mar 96


If I remember Israel for anything, it will be the flowers.  I bought Happy (Davene) a popsicle at Bet Guvrin for her b-day - I'm not sure how many days are b-day - concert, flowers, the card, and now popsicles - her kind friendship is worth much more - Davene just gave me an assortment of flowers! [it was in the spring of the year, and wildflowers grew everywhere, it seemed...when we went out on field trips, it was easy and fun to pick some] - O Lord, I went to Abu Shanab's pizza place tonight to celebrate Davene's b-day - it was tasty and fun.


********


3 Apr 96


Time has passed.  Davene invited me to walk with her to the [Western] Wall; I said yes, and we did.  I have a feeling she is falling in love with me, Lord...


One lady is against the wall with a blue veil over her head.  I can't find Davene so I guess she went inside the women's enclosure.  The blue-scarfed lady was Davene.  Lord, I know in ways I am falling in love with her...


********


I am so glad he was!  :)

8 comments:

Sally said...

What a treasure! Are you sure Jeff shouldn't write a "How to Woo a Christian Wife" or something book? It seems like he did the right things and ended up with the right one!

Anonymous said...

ooohh how sweet!! That is very gutsy to put his last name in there!

Elizabeth said...

These words make me teary! What beautiful letters Davene that will always be cherished. Your sons have quite the example there to learn from on how to be a loving man and husband. You ARE blessed. I hope Jeff is reading all of this again too!

michelle said...

love the excerpts - i can't believe it was 15 years ago! i realized that the other day and really need to dig out my journal from that semester and reread it - i haven't done that in years. oh the memories!

Margie said...

These snippets are really wonderful! As are the quotes. Thanks for including those, too.

Amber said...

First of all, I love that photo! And the grid from the screen adds to it!

Second of all, the words you are sharing from your beloved are so beautiful! What a beautiful, God-given gift you two share!

Stacey said...

Beautiful! I Really like the Photo, It looks almost like it is on Canvas.

Carol said...

Absolutely beautiful!!