Monday, April 25, 2011

The Week in Words #1

I have long admired a meme I've seen bekahcubed participate regularly in: The Week in Words, hosted by Barbara H (who must be a lovely lady if her name is Barbara H. - just like my mother!). ;-) Despite my intentions every week to take a few moments to jot down some of the things I've read that have impacted me, I've never made it happen. Until now...

While reading the weekly email newsletter from HEAV, my state's homeschooling association, I discovered this gem from Amy Carmichael who lived from 1867-1951 and was a missionary to India for 56 years without a furlough.  Her words are especially meaningful to me because that is, in essence, what my blog is all about!  She said,
If a sudden jar can cause me to speak an impatient, unloving word, then I know nothing of Calvary love. For a cup brimful of sweet water cannot spill even one drop of bitter water, however suddenly jolted.
I am convicted.  I know that all too often, the words that spill from me are impatient and unloving.  It's obvious that I need to be filled more fully with sweet water from His well.

Here is one more quote that caught my eye this week--this one from John Piper on Facebook.
Since the curtain is torn from top to bottom, don't dawdle in the courtyard of the temple, run for the altar.
Having celebrated Jesus' resurrection in a special way yesterday, I'm intensely grateful for that torn curtain and the privilege of running straight to the altar!

********

For more gathered words, visit Barbara H.'s Stray Thoughts.

5 comments:

Homeschool on the Croft said...

Ooooh, the first one sure convicted me :(

The second one made me go Ooooh, but for a different reason. Why wait - flee straight to Christ. The Rent Veil is one of my favourite topics, and I have a whole folder on my ipod with various preachers preaching on this text. Glorious...

The Coderlambian said...

Those are great quotes! The first one is especially convicting...
Thanks!

Barbara H. said...

I am so glad you joined in! Amy Carmichael is one of my all-time favorite people. I was just thinking of that quote this morning, and it is good to see the whole thing in print to remind me yet again. Yes, this is a very convicting quote!

I love the symbolism and truth of the torn curtain, the fact that we have direct access to the Father through Christ. Yesterday was such a wonderful time remembering all He did on our behalf.

I am happy to share a name with your mom!

Lisa notes... said...

Uh-oh. "A sudden jar” can often cause me to speak impatiently. A sobering thought.

I loved that John Piper quote too. I saw it on Twitter and retweeted it. But today I had a friend question it: why run to the altar, he said. Run straight for the Mercy Seat! :-)

So glad you’re participating with us today at The Week in Words!

bekahcubed said...

I'd never heard either of those before, but both are beautiful. I especially love the Amy Carmichael one--and the implications of it. For it truly is only Calvary love that fill my once-bitter heart with sweet water. Oh that I would be filled and filled anew with Christ's love, such that no impatient or unloving word would spill forth when I am jolted!