Saturday, April 9, 2011

So Much Beauty...and a Fascinating Connection

Saturday evening has come and gone.  

Josiah was healthy, and was able to sing in the much-anticipated SVCC concert.  Thank you, friends, for praying for this specific request of ours!  One more concert to go; and then, if he has to, he can get sick.  But if he doesn't have to, that would be just fine with me.  ;-)

Every time I attend a SVCC concert, I reach a phase of being so enraptured with the music that I'm nearly speechless.  How do you absorb so much beauty?  How do you grasp it?  How do you hold onto the emotion of it all, and then try, with weak words, to communicate that to others?  

I'm at that stage now, so rather than try to force more of my thoughts out on paper, I'll limit my conversation to this tidbit...  

One of the very special songs that was sung tonight was "Hashivenu," a Hebrew song that is especially significant to me because of the lyrics:  Cause us to return, Lord, to You...  Do you know what that Hebrew word for "return" is?  If you guessed "SHAV," you're right!!!   Hebrew uses consonants as roots for words, and then constructs them in different ways with different vowels/prefixes/suffixes/etc., depending on what part of speech it is, what tense it is, etc.  So in this song, the word "shav" by itself is not present, but it's not hard to find it when you see "hashivenu."   The "sh" and "v" are the root of Shav's name; and I can't hear this song performed without thinking of our precious fourth son.

But even more!  The percussion accompaniment for the song was arranged by a man named Brent Holl, a very talented local musician.
Years ago, that man was a boy who took piano lessons.  The name of his piano teacher?  Barbara Huffman.  My mom!!!!!

Who could ever have guessed, in the days when Mother was teaching him, that he would grow up to arrange a piece for a concert in which my mother's grandson, the child of a daughter not yet born to my mother, would sing.  And that the piece he would arrange would be in Hebrew, the language of the country where that grandson spent the first few years of his life.  And that the piece would include the {VERY unusual} name of that grandson's youngest brother.

Would could ever have orchestrated such a connection?  Who else, but the Grand Composer Himself, the Arranger of the galaxies, and the Orchestrator of the tiniest details of our lives!

3 comments:

Polly said...

So true!! I love those details! And I love shav's name.

Am so behind on blog-reading but am happy to start catching up. I love your new blog & the great picture of you!

Julie said...

What a great connection! So glad Josiah is staying healthy,and that he had a well-fitting shirt with well-proportioned sleeves.I am eagerly awaiting tonight's, Caleb's final,SVCC performance.

Yesterday, I dug out the video of his first concert (December 2002) to watch him sing a solo in "Christmas Comin'" accompanied on the toms by none other than...Brent Holl. It was so fun to see the camera pan the choir and all of those faces (big and small, some well into adulthood these days) with him on the front row.

Sally said...

This is really neat! I'm so glad Josiah was well and could sing with the choir. I'm also glad you were well and could attend.

This divine arrangement reminds me of the neat experience of having the nurse who helped deliver me when I was born take care of me in L&D when Marie was born.

I hope the concert today goes well, and that everyone in your house stays healthy for a long time.