Monday, April 18, 2011

Recipe Box - Caribbean Chicken Stew

I wanted to do David's birthday post this evening, but I'm having trouble uploading any videos...and what fun is a birthday post without videos?  (Especially when Thomas was involved...)  ;-)  I'm not sure if the video problem is a Blogger issue...or my computer's fault...or simply user error.  Hopefully it will work itself out soon!

In the meantime, how about a recipe?  :)

This recipe showed up in my inbox almost two years ago, sent in a FlyLady email.   I'll readily admit that, even though I've gleaned MANY wonderful nuggets of wisdom from receiving those emails, I'm also quick to press the Delete button without even opening them when my inbox gets too full and I don't feel like taking the time to read them.  However, the email in which this recipe was sent is one that I'm very glad I didn't delete!

Here is the recipe in the original form:

1 c. uncooked brown rice
2 tsp. olive oil
1 c. chopped onion
2 cloves garlic, pressed
1 lb. boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite size pieces
1 tsp. curry powder
1 tsp. dried thyme
1/2 tsp. ground allspice
1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper
1/2 tsp. cracked black pepper
1/4 c. dry red wine (or juice of any kind, or water, or broth)
1 (15-ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained

Prepare rice according to package directions, omitting salt and fat.  While rice cooks, heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium high heat.  Add onion and garlic; sauté 3 minutes or until tender.

Combine chicken and the next 5 ingredients (chicken through black pepper) in a bowl.  Add chicken mixture to pan; sauté 4 minutes.  Stir in wine, beans, and tomatoes.  Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 10 minutes or until tender.  Serve over rice.

I don't prepare this exactly as written.  For one thing, I make lots more rice than one cup, because some of my boys--especially Josiah--are huge rice fans.  And I use more chicken, because with eight of us eating here every evening, it's a good idea to throw some extra chicken in the pot.  :)  But even as far as the process goes, after I sauté the onions and garlic, I simply put the chicken into the pan and add the spices there while the chicken begins to cook, rather than taking the extra step of mixing the chicken and spices in a bowl.  Why in the world would I want to dirty another bowl anyway?  ;-)

I don't use as much red pepper as this calls for, since the majority of the people who gather around my table for supper have tastes as mild as--or milder than--my own.  Jeff puts his homemade spicy salsa on nearly everything, so even if I leave out some of the red pepper, he doesn't mind because his salsa more than makes up for it.

I'm not a wine-drinker, and I'm not much of a wine-cooker, so I usually end up using broth or some other kind of liquid instead of wine.

I've made this in a pan on top of the stove, and I've made it in a crockpot.  It's delicious either way.  Yum, just thinking about those scrumptious spices is making me salivate.  Uh oh, it's 11:30 PM, and I'm suddenly stomach-growling hungry.  This is not good.  Not good at all.  ;-)

4 comments:

Sally said...

Yay! Another crockpot recipe I can use on a Sunday morning to be ready for our lunch! Thanks! I'm looking forward to trying this.

Unknown said...

We have just discovered black bean at our house. This looks great!

Anonymous said...

yum!!! Looks delicious and I can't wait to try it!

Leah said...

Regarding the "he".. as soon as I was brave enough to finally put something out including him, the "us", so to speak, was over. :-/ I'm glad you asked though. :-) The moments were still gifts even though I won't be counting any more with him.