Sunday, April 24, 2011

It's Easter, and My Words Are Few

This year, the profound nature of this holiday we're celebrating awes me--awes me to silence, in fact.  So many people have said so many things about Easter, and they've said them so much better than I could.  So I remember Ecclesiastes 5:1-2, and I seek to still my tongue in my head and my fingers on the keyboard.  Only three short things to share, and then I'm done.

First, my lunchtime conversation with David and Tobin on Friday was an interesting look at the supposed misnomer that "Good" Friday is.  I realized again that only through knowing the end of the story is it possible to call that day good.  With David and Tobin's stage of development being more immediate and realistic in terms of how they view the world, they decided that it should really be called Sad Friday, and they urged me to write the word "Sad" on the calendar above the word "Friday."  I did as they wished, letting my own thoughts linger on the way the disciples and Jesus' mother and others who knew Him must have felt on that night so long ago.  Having seen their Beloved be so brutally killed, what despair must have engulfed them.  Can we feel a piece of that, even though we have the advantage of so quickly skipping over to Sunday's joy?

Second, this picture of the Bleeding Heart that grows so easily in our back flowerbed reminds me of His bleeding heart...
...and so, like a child who buys a gift for his daddy using money that his daddy has given him, I give this picture back to Him, thanking Him for the beauty He's so abundantly given to us and promising to remember Him when I see these flowers.

Third, the song that has touched my heart the most during this Easter season is "Christ Is Risen" by Matt Maher.

Beauty.  Triumph.  Power.  Grace.

I, unworthy but grateful, bow my head.  My words are over.  I have nothing left to say.

2 comments:

Emily Sacra said...

How funny! I just posted this song on my blog! I see we both have good taste in music :)

ann said...

I love this song. When I am in my garden in the spring and plant all my seed, I go in every day after that to see the seed sprout into a tender plant as a root out of dry ground. Like Jesus before the Father. Isaiah 53:2-12 Ann