Thursday, January 5, 2012

Recipe Box - Chicken Curry Soup

If my memory is correct, we never ate Indian food growing up; yet somehow along the way, I became a big fan of it...well, some of it.  I'm certainly no expert on Indian food, so I'd better not be too hasty to announce my love of things I've never tried.  But I do know that I love, love, love curry.  If you've been around my blogs long enough, you might have noticed.  (The recipes I've posted for Chicken Curry, Curried Lentils, and Chicken Korma might have clued you in.)  :)

Some months ago, I came across another curry recipe that probably isn't authentically Indian in the least, but still satisfies my tastebuds immensely.  :)  Even better, it's super easy to make and can be whipped up with things that I routinely keep on hand.  It's one of those meals that, when I know I'm making it for supper, helps me be relaxed all day because it doesn't take much work to prepare it but the results are delicious.  :)

Chicken Curry Soup

What You Need:
1/4 c. butter
1 c. minced onion
1 1/2 c. diced celery
2 cans condensed chicken and rice soup
1 can condensed tomato soup
1 c. milk
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. curry powder

What You Do:
Melt butter in kettle.  Add onion and celery and saute for 5 minutes.  Stir in soups, milk, and seasonings.  Simmer, covered for 5 minutes.

I originally got this recipe from Cooks.com, and the only major change I've made to it is to add some cubed cooked chicken if I have it on hand.  That makes it extra hearty; but even without it, I still think it's great.  Oh, and sometimes when I'm feeling extravagant, I top it with a dollop of plain yogurt or sour cream.  We all love our indulgences, don't we?  ;-)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

oo yum! Looks and sounds delicious!

Mamajil said...

Yum I will have to give this a try so far all your recipes have become favorites of ours :) Yesterday we had the curried lentil soup you posted long ago...I added steamed kale to the left overs today and some chopped fresh cayenne and onions it was so good I was sorry to see it gone!

Unknown said...

Yum! It looks like we will be having chicken soup again soon.

Emily said...

I'm so excited to try this soup! My husband loves chicken soup, but I am SO TIRED OF THE CLEAR kind w/ veggies. Gag. Maybe this creative one will be a compromise! :)