Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Baby Blessing: Week 27

First, I'll just mention that I took this photo this afternoon, using the self-timer feature on my camera.  It was the first time I had used that; and boy, did Josiah and David ever laugh at me as they watched me rush-waddle across the room and settle in the rocker before the picture was taken!  I love having fun with them and watching them laugh (even if it's at me!).  ;-)

I had an appointment today with the midwives, and everything went fine.  Everything really is going fine with this pregnancy.  But I can't shake the feeling that it's all a lot more complicated than it needs to be.  As carefree and smooth as the physical part of this pregnancy has been, the prenatal care part of it has seemed anything but!  Compared with several other pregnant friends who are having to go across the mountain to Charlottesville for more intensive testing, I know I have it easy; but even still, I'm left with the impression that it's complicated to have a baby.  Something so natural and peaceful seems to be creating a lot of extra work for me.  Don't get me wrong:  I would do anything to help this baby be strong and healthy.  But was it really necessary to check my iron level again today?  Do I really have to start coming every two weeks for appointments?  Is it really time for yet another rhogam shot?  

Part of my sense of "much ado about nothing" stems from the fact that this pregnancy is zooming by a whole lot quicker than I realize.  For example, when I go back for my next appointment, I'll be 29 and a half weeks--essentially, 30 weeks.  I don't even remember if that's when I started going every two weeks in other pregnancies; maybe it is.  Did I have all these other blood tests each time I've been pregnant?  Am I being treated more delicately because of Advanced Maternal Age?  Who knows.  But I have to consciously remind myself that all this extra fuss has a purpose--a spectacular purpose.  At times though, I wish I were a pioneer woman far from the medical establishment, simply letting my body do what it was created to do and not carrying the weight of knowledge about all the things that could go wrong and what steps should be taken to deal with all those possibilities, etc.  Knowledge can be a burden, and today I was feeling that.

I realize this feeling isn't terribly logical, and you better believe I'm grateful that I live in this day and age and place where skilled medical care is available.  Even if it is a hassle sometimes...

I don't remember all the stats about my appointment today; for example, I can't remember my blood pressure, but I do know it was fine.  My weight was 170, up from 167 a month ago.  The baby's heartrate was 158 (or 156--I don't remember exactly), which was significantly higher than last month.  I didn't have an ultrasound today so I don't know for sure what position the baby was in.  When the midwife Marty pushed around on my belly, she couldn't tell if the hard thing she was feeling was the baby's head or bottom, so I don't know if we're still dealing with a breech position or not.  Marty was very laidback about it, however, and told me that it's still early and she doesn't even recommend turning the baby at this point because, more than likely, the baby would just flip around numerous times between now and delivery.  After my last appointment, I had called a chiropractor that was recommended for breech situations; but they don't even do anything until 30 weeks, so there's nothing to be done now except pray that this little girl finds her way into a head-down position as labor draws nearer.  I did ask Marty if all breech pregnancies are delivered by c-section in their practice and, as I expected, the answer was yes.  So I don't know much more than I did a month ago, but I certainly feel less stressed about it.  No crazy mental freak-outs in Walmart this time.  ;-)

By the way, I want to be clear that even though I felt a little frustrated by all the fuss and hassle of various appointments, tests, etc., I still think extremely highly of the midwives and all the rest who work in their practice.  They are so friendly and nice and helpful and caring and wonderful.  It's just the medical protocol that I sometimes fret about, but the people there are fantastic.  I really can't say enough good things about them!

What else can I say about this week?  Hmmm...

Well, I guess I could mention that after my appointment today, I went and bought the going-home outfit for our daughter.  It's nothing too fancy, just a cute little sleeper that's warm and soft and snuggly.  I look forward to clothing her in fancy dresses and all of that frilly stuff, but to bring her home from the hospital, I wanted simple and cuddly.  :)

My brain is shutting down for the night, and my seven o'clock wake-up is drawing closer.  I feel like I'm forgetting something that I really wanted to say.  Maybe I'll remember it when I wake up in a few hours for my first trip of the night to the bathroom.  Ah, the joys of pregnancy!  ;-)

As I read back through this post, I feel like I came across as grumpy and complaining, when really, that is not my intention.  I love being pregnant.  I cherish this special time of life.  I give thanks for the ease with which my body is carrying this child.  

Most of all, I already adore this baby girl; and every day, every appointment, every blood test, every backache, every heartburn episode, every high and every low brings me closer to the day when I hold her in my arms, look her in the eye, and tell her face to face how dearly she is loved!

4 comments:

Homeschool on the Croft said...

I get where you're coming from... not moany at all, but if I have too many things taking me out of the house regularly, it kinda makes me just want to stop, bunker down and not have to leave home again! In your case, you don't have that option cos you 'will do the best for baby', and not take the 'risk'. Yes, we know it's all good care, but I am with you in feeling that we are over-analysed in our pregnancy.
In between apps, just sit more in that rocker, Davene, and soothe away the thoughts of your next trip out ;)

Oh, and I love the boys-laughing-at-you scene! Yes, I'm used to that happening here too.... joy :)

Unknown said...

You did such a great job on your picture! I will have to try using the timer more.

Anonymous said...

Hello! I've been reading your blog for the last couple months, and am blessed by it. I too am 35, advanced maternal age, pregnant with #4 at 32 weeks now. We also homeschool. But, my three at home are all girls! And we don't know what #4 will be. But anyway, my baby was transverse and just turned head down in the last week or so (after 30 weeks) - and boy, did that relieve the indigestion (at least for now, but I am thankful for the reprieve!). So still lots of time for your baby to turn. Blessings to you and your family! Melissa

Mike and Katie said...

Today is my due date and I went in for an appointment. I opted out of having a cervix check since I knew I wasn't in labor and there's no reason to consider inducing. When I came home, Mike said, "What? So what exactly did you go there for anyways if you didn't get checked." Ha, ha! I have no idea, honey. I go because they tell me to come.