Sunday, March 13, 2011

Yesterday, I...

...got sick.

I felt fine all during the day:  during Josiah's all-day violin festival and the running-around I needed to do with that, during my quick stop at Walmart to pick up a few groceries for the dinner guests who were planning to come today, during our supper of quesadillas here at home.  It wasn't until Jeff had the boys in the bathtub with our bubble-blowing jacuzzi machine that I began to have stomach pain.  I brought clean pajamas into the bathroom for Tobin and told Jeff, "My stomach hurts."  I put fresh sheets on David's bed, and remarked to Jeff, "Wow, I don't feel very good."

He helped get all the boys in bed; and then when the house was quiet, I gazed around at the messy living room and kitchen and all the work I needed to do, then sank down on the couch and said to Jeff, "I'll just lay here a little while, then get up and do my work later."

"Later" still hasn't come.  I laid on the couch, drifted off to sleep, woke up and felt worse, noticed that Jeff had gone upstairs to bed, told myself that I should go down to the freezer in the garage to get a roast to put in the crockpot for lunch today, answered myself that I couldn't possibly exert myself in that way, laid on the couch some more, finally dragged myself up the steps to bed while clutching a trashcan on the way, laid in bed for a while, then headed for the bathroom.  One week almost to the minute after Josiah threw up, so did I.

Jeff, being the caring husband that he is, followed me to the bathroom to inquire if I needed anything.  "Go away!" I barked harshly.  In that case, misery didn't love company; I was like a wounded dog that wanted nothing more than to be left alone to lick my wounds.  So he returned to bed, and I later apologized and thanked him for his kindness.

The rest of the night passed fitfully, but eventually I got some sleep and woke to the beauty of a new morning.  Still feeling quite weak and depleted, I decided to stay home from church to recover.  My little man Shav is keeping me company.

I never did get that roast in the crockpot.  Guess it doesn't matter now.

10 comments:

Elizabeth said...

I'm sorry to hear you're not feeling well. The hardest part is seeing all that around you which needs to be tended to, and yet you just have to rest and let it be.

Praying you are back on your feet soon.

Simply Bonkers! said...

Awww. I'm so sorry to hear this. I hope you feel better soon! I couldnt imagine being sick with busy children around. I am praying for you.

Miriam said...

Oh no :( I guess maybe the good thing is that it happened at night when you didn't have all the kids awake and needing taken care of? I hope you're back to full speed soon!

Lisa said...

sorry you're not well. I hope you feel better soon!

Sally said...

I'm sorry to hear this. I hope it's over and you regain your strength quickly. Please let me know if there's anything I can do for you.

Sarah-Anne said...

gotta love, er, hate those sickies that make their way around the whole family! not.
hope you and Shav had a great rest time! :)

Margie said...

Oh, goodness, Davene, I'm sorry. But I'm incredibly impressed you used your recovery time to blog. Now: get well!

Unknown said...

Get well soon! (no wonder your previous post was "tired"!)

Amy said...

So sorry you were sick. It sounds very much like what I had on Friday. I hope you are feeling better.

Misty said...

Ewww...so sorry you aren't feeling well! I hope that it is over now and you are feeling better!