Saturday, March 19, 2011

When Mother Turned 44...

...I gave her this.
The fact that she still has it at age 69 either means she's somewhat of a sentimental packrat or she knows what's really important in life.  ;-)

I don't remember giving her that when I was nine years old (I'm not sure I remember giving her anything for her birthdays when I was a child; apparently, her birthdays didn't stick in my head like my own did!), but she discovered the paper one day last week and skipped (well, not literally) up the hill to show it to me.  I knew as soon as she came in the door and I saw the huge smile on her face that she was excited about something.

In case it's hard to read it in the picture, I'll write what it says:

This
certificate announces that
you can have a hug and
a kiss from me any time you
want one.  But if this card is 
lost then you can't always 
ask me.  But chances are I'd
give it to you anyway.  I Love
You.

     Love,
Barbara Huffman          Davene Huffman
Receiver Name               Giver Name

Happy
Birthday

xoxoxoxo

No wonder she kept it.  I would, too, with that drastic of a consequence being threatened if the paper was lost!  ;-)

********

I would have mentioned this two days ago, but for some reason, on St. Patrick's Day, our internet went out and I couldn't blog.  But I couldn't let this holiday pass without a mention of the significance it holds for Jeff and I.  I've written about it previously though, so rather than repeating myself, I'll just include a link.  You can read about it right here.  ;-)

6 comments:

Homeschool on the Croft said...

Oh my! How sweet!

You had a way with words even back then ;)

And who of us would dare lose that precious piece of paper... that is such a treasure - after all these years x

Pam said...

For some reason this just chokes me up. Perhaps its because of the sweet spontaneous childhood gesture... I can vaguely remember doing things like that as a child.. perhaps it is just that I am a mom with grown children now, and I realize how much I
cherish those sweet memories and mementos.. I feel it more now than I did when I was younger. Your Mom is so sweet. I love that she lives close. Also, loved reading your St. Patrick's Day story. Happy "anniversary". I just think it is so interesting that you went to school in Jerusalem, and that you met there.
Much Love, Pam

Theresa Miller said...

Oh, that is precious! How clever and heart-felt at age nine. Impressive.:)

Sally said...

I think you have always been a gem, Davene. Your mom must have lots of great memories.

Now, this is a kick in the pants to me not to throw away all the simple letters Paul writes to me and Hannah these days. I need to save a few to get teary-eyed over in a couple decades.

Sarah-Anne said...

so cute, davene!! i remember making a little coupon book for my dad one year, and we've saved all the handmade cards over the years. that's 15 years worth! ;)

Margie said...

What a sweet, sweet letter. I hope I save all the ones I'll get - the girls can figure out what to do with them when I'm gone. (Although I guess I'm ASSUMING I'll get love letters...it's early yet, isn't it?)

The answer to your rhetorical question: She knows what's important in life!