Friday, March 25, 2011

So Sweet, It Makes Me Ache

Last evening, Jeff was giving the boys a bath (he often does this job, and I'm immensely grateful for it); and I went into Shav's room to get it ready for him:  to turn on his lamp, to shut his blinds, to lay out a clean sleeper for him, to make sure the stuffed animals and blanket he tosses out of the crib were in it again, to turn on the baseboard heater to warm the room a little before I carried his still-damp-from-his-bath body into it.  I got it ready, then left the room; but for some reason, before the end of Shav's bath, I happened to pass by the doorway to his room again.  When I glanced in, I saw this...
I'm not sure what that picture speaks to you, but to me it says:
Cozy
Warm
Sleepy
Peaceful
Safe
Loving
HOME

A wave of nostalgia rolled over me, and I couldn't resist taking a picture.  When I'm an old lady and my hair is all gray, I wouldn't be surprised if, when I see this picture, my arms will ache with emptiness, and my eyes will overflow from fullness.  

What will I do when I no longer have a towel-wrapped damp-headed little baby to carry into this room?

6 comments:

Sally said...

You'll invite the grandkids over for a sleepover, that's what you'll do!

Marie said...

Davene,
Making me cry. I too feel what you are so well describing. Reading your routine reminds me very much of mine. I love hearing yours and I am LOVING the picture. It is so beautiful and romantic. Such a warm and safe feeling it portrays.

I have been missing your blog so much and those precious boys and what you all are up to. I haven't had time to read much and I am so sad because of it.

LOVING you all from Ohio
~ Marie

Homeschool on the Croft said...

Once your post opened, I saw the photo, and I subconsciously sighed and said all the things you mention.
And yes, I reckon you'll well up and that your arms will ache a bit. Even at this stage, I do that. But we pray that our hearts will still be so full of love for them, and, if God wills it, for their children, who will be as precious to us as they themselves were.

Love, love, love the photo, and the sentiments behind it. Aaaaaahhhhh. Sigh of contentment.

Anonymous said...

That picture makes me want to go curl up in his room and go to sleep. Very welcoming!

Pam said...

What a sweet, comfortable, cozy, safe family you are. The picture makes me feel like I am a safe little baby myself and reminds me of my hiding place in the Lord.
Many Blessings,
Pam

Sarah-Anne said...

aw, so sweet. :)