Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Tiny Talk Tuesday


I used to do a better job of jotting down the things my boys say that make me smile, the mispronunciations and conversations and cute sayings that I don't want to forget.  But it's been a while.  Here on this beautiful Tuesday morning, when I'm feeling well again after a weekend bout with the stomach flu, I'm eager to capture some moments.

********

Josiah says "duplica," which makes perfect sense to me as a combination of "duplicate" and "replica."   "Magnick" (instead of "magnet") and "pregnick" (instead of "pregnant") are still heard around our house, too.

********

One day, I happened to muse aloud, knowing full well that David was sitting nearby and would "overhear" me: How did David get so cute?
He spoke up instantly:  Because I was born that way.
Me: How did David get so loving?
Him: Because my mommy loves me.
Me: How did David get so smart?
Him:  From you and Dad.
Me:  How did David get so polite?
Him:  I don't know.  You taught me?

*********

It had been months since we had gotten any Goldfish crackers, so one day in the grocery store, the temptation was too much, and I grabbed a big box.  I always think of my great-grandmother when I see Goldfish; I guess hers was the first house in which I ate them, and it seems in my foggy memory that she always had a bowl of them when we came to visit.  Not all of my boys like them:  I think Josiah has grown out of the Goldfish-enamored stage, but Shav thinks they're wonderful, and David and Tobin enjoy them, too.  The first day we had them, the boys were excited about pretending that they were Jesus and the disciples, and they had to reenact the miracle of the huge catch of fish.  The next time we had Goldfish, I heard this conversation as they approached the kitchen table and saw their plates of food:

David (with excitement): Goldfish?!  I'm Jesus again!

Tobin (also excitedly): Me Peter!

That led to David holding up his cup of milk and a Goldfish cracker and solemnly announcing, "This is my blood, and this is my body."  OK, Jesus, thanks for letting us know.  Impromptu communion services are always welcome at our lunch table.

Of course, Tobin, the little imitator, followed suit and did the same thing; then he added, "And this is my yogurt, and this is my jello."  Sort of a 21st century twist on communion, I suppose.

Tobin held up his cup (of milk) and said dramatically, "I'm going to drink my blood!"  He took a sip, and then logically followed that with a loud, "Yuck!"

Silly boys.  ;-)

********

David: I have a tummy ache, but that doesn't mean I don't love you.  Thanks for clarifying that, son; I feel a lot better now.

********

David, while giving Shav a hug and kiss: Yeah, I love you, Shav, even if you do often have a little snot on your nose.  Before he gets old enough to court, we'd better give him lessons on How to Give a Compliment.  Of course, maybe it won't be an issue because hopefully the girl he's courting won't often have snot on her nose.  ;-)

********
You can find more Tiny Talk from Mary at Not Before 7:00.

9 comments:

Stephanie B. said...

Thanks for sharing Davene, I laughed out loud at some of these!

Anonymous said...

"And this is my yogurt, and this is my jello." LOL! That is too cute!

Elizabeth said...

Hahahaha! This made me grin!

Unknown said...

The communion service is priceless.

In Everything said...

So funny:) Love the modern take on communion;) And the love with the snot:) Gotta love siblings;)

Anonymous said...

oohh man these were great!! love the and this is my jello part :-)

Sarah-Anne said...

yogurt and jello?! reminds me of the time i heard my pastor talk about having communion with golden cerel and OJ. ;)
your boys are too cute, as usual!

Jolanthe said...

haha ~ love that last one! :)

Margie said...

I had to look to see if I commented. I was GOING to, but got pulled away (hmm, wonder why?). But I wanted to say this: these made me LAUGH.