Wednesday, March 2, 2011

The Gardener, Season Two

Last year, Jeff astonished us all by his decision to take on the garden...and by his subsequent success.  The garden, under his steady, energetic, youthful :), careful hands, did better than it had during any of the years that I was helping with it.  ;-)

Now that March is here and has come in like a lamb, Jeff is back at it, ready for another season of hours in the garden, late suppers, sore backs, and delicious, healthy produce that is the envy of any chef anywhere.  I am keenly aware today of how blessed I am to have a husband that does this!  And that wants to do this!

The first order of business was clearing last fall's debris from the garden. Fortunately, Jeff is surrounded by little helpers who are enjoying the spring-like weather and getting Vitamin D from the beautiful sunshine while learning about tending a garden and spending time with their beloved daddy.  Win-win-win-win!
Some people fill their time with watching TV.  And then there are country folks, who'd rather spend their leisure hours drinking iced tea and watching their garden grow. 

Or, in my case, watching The Gardener {and his sons} work.  ;-)

7 comments:

Sally said...

...And giving you a little time to catch your breath without quite as many little hands and feet around. You are blessed and you deserve it!
Enjoy.

New Mom said...

Right now I am wishing I were a country folk! Happy Gardening!

Homeschool on the Croft said...

The stuff dreams are made of, Davene....

We began planting 2 years ago, and the bug truly bit! We love it so much.... well, actually *I* love it. The wonder of God's creation never ceases to blow me away while I'm out in the plot. and the wonder of the taste of the veg compared with supermarket veg never ceases to amaze either!

Seeing your boys out there .... pure joy x

Anonymous said...

yay! What is he planning on planting? I took a break last year.. but I am ready to have at it again this year!

Davene Grace said...

Lindsay - so far, Jeff has planted two rows of red onions and one row of peas. He was also talking about all the different kinds of hot peppers he wants to plant when it gets warmer. :) We'll probably do a little of everything: tomatoes, corn, cantaloupe, squash, basil, cilantro, etc., etc. Fun, fun! :)

Sarah-Anne said...

definitely keep us updated on the garden's status!
Sarah-Anne

Margie said...

Wayne has bought herbs for our garden, and this year might be the time for me to begin to learn to do a little gardening myself. Couldn't consider it before now, but now that the girls are older, gardening has a little pull and curiosity for me. Please keep us updated on how your garden grows...