Friday, March 4, 2011

Imagine My Town Doing This

One of the wonderful books that our Sonlight curriculum introduced us to this year is Window on the World by Daphne Spraggett with Jill Johnstone.  Every day, we read about a different nation or people group and pray for their spiritual needs; and in the process, we're learning bits about social studies, geography, world religions, cultural differences, etc...plus, it's giving us a heart to pray for people around the globe as our eyes are opened to the vast needs in other parts of the world.  It's so easy and natural to navel-gaze, so things that lift our eyes and turn our attention from our own little corner are worthwhile indeed!

Some of the tribes we've read about and prayed for do not yet have the entire Bible in their own language, and so we pray for the translation process.  Because of this, it was with special delight that I watched this video and then shared it with my sons.  Although this particular tribe is not one for whom we have specifically prayed, it was easy to imagine the tribes for whom we have prayed showing equally joyful responses when the Bible in their own language is, at long last, placed in their hands.  May that day come quickly!

I'm especially touched by the older man who compared himself to Simeon; and as Simeon was promised to hold the Messiah before he died, so this man was promised to hold the Bible before his death.  What a gift--and he was so aware of how precious it was!  It moves my heart.

I try to imagine my town doing this:  everyone gathering together, singing songs, dancing, celebrating, waiting with outstretched arms.  Just to hold a Bible.

Just to hold a Bible.

How much we take for granted!  How much we could learn from the Kimyal people!

4 comments:

Homeschool on the Croft said...

Davene, my friend had this clip on her blog recently, and I cried and cried watching it. (It was the best of crying!)
What utter joy. Oh, I certainly can't imagine our 'town' - or any town in this country - reacting like that. Sadly, our towns are now saying, 'We will not have this man rule over us'. But there was a day that our island rejoiced to have a Bible in our (Gaelic) language, and our nation (as your nation was too) was transformed by the English Bible, which some lived to translate... and others died doing the same.
How much we take for granted indeed x

Lana said...

I must say it is a celebration that I will soon never forget. I had the joy to be in Belize during one of the many day celebration that they were holding due to the fact that they had just gotten the Bible translated in the Garifuna language. So much joy, so much happiness, I wish we all would celebrate the Bible all the time like that.

Sarah-Anne said...

wow, what a powerful post, davene! i recently got a AMP {amplified bible} for Christmas, and i can't wait to get another translation!! the Bible is so...i don't even know a word. ;)

Leah said...

Oh my, I wish there was a warning at the beginning of this video to have tissues ready! So, so, so emotional! This reminds me of the Bible dedication of the Ixil translation that I attended in Guatemala a couple years ago. I would love to see this in our town, too, Davene.. this spirit of pure gratitude.