Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Music-Makers

Even tho' we live out here in the boonies, far away from them thar city folks, we shore love us some music in this here family.  Whaddya call it?  Uh...culture!  Thet's rite.  Yup, shore enough, we got ourselves some culture.  Wanna see?

First, we have Tobin singing his little heart out to one of the songs from The Aristocats.  Clearly, Shav is in awe.  If he had a thought bubble coming out of his head, I'm sure it would say, "Oh, yes, Tobin, you're right.  I DO want to be a cat.  Thank you for making me aware of that."

One day during school time, our discussion turned to the music of Wagner.  I confessed to Josiah and David that, even though I considered Wagner to be very talented, I didn't personally care for his music very much.  I then proceeded to play a recording of some of his music, sure that they would agree with me that it wasn't nearly as wonderful as the music of...say...Bach or Mozart or Vivaldi.  Au contraire, they deemed it splendid and relished the high drama of it.  Well, one thing led to another, and then we had to listen to "Pomp and Circumstance."  To that, they exclaimed, "The perfect fighting music!"  And proceeded to fight.  My dearly-loved music history lessons in college were never so thrilling.  If only Dr. Miller had handed out weapons.

More times than I can count, I've thought about how, in a homeschooling family, the younger siblings learn so very much from the older ones.  Here's an example:  in SVCC, Josiah is learning "Sesere Eeye," a song from the Torres Strait Islands (true confession time--before he started singing this song, I did not even know where the Torres Strait Islands were, or that such a place existed...SVCC is not only teaching Josiah how to sing, but also teaching me geography!).  (OK, one more interruption--shameless plug time--for you locals--the SVCC's spring concert is coming up in just a few weeks; it will be in the amazing new Forbes Center, and I guarantee it will be an incredible event.)  Now, no more interruptions!  Anyway, Josiah is learning "Sesere Eeye," but he's not the only one.  Yep, little bro David is, too.  There are advantages to being a younger sibling.  :)
Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life.
~ Berthold Auerbach

11 comments:

Unknown said...

Hehehe, love the little bottom shuffler in the last one!

My boys are forever associating my music CDs with different actions too. To them Pomp and Crircumstance is one for marching to. One of their favourite fighting ones is Ride of the Valkeries!

Homeschool on the Croft said...

I think these boys have definite talent in the interpreting music class! Brilliant! And yes, my wee guy would fight to that music too. Wonderful!

Unknown said...

They are just to cute! What talent!

Anonymous said...

hehe I loved all of their musical talents!! Sammy has just started to really sing and I am loving it!

Stephanie B. said...

Love it Davene! I can just see some of our classmates dueling in Music History Class. Thanks for making me smile.

Julie said...

OK...I, too, love the SVCC but guess what I am thinking...This will be Caleb's last concert after years and years and the year that Kirk can audition. And am I ready for generation 2? Not really. sigh...we shall see. I need the shot in the arm that your blog gives to KEEP GOING and see the sunny side of things.

Miriam said...

What fun it must be to have music filling your house! And crawling through the window onto the couch - awesome :)

Elizabeth said...

Did David hit the light or fan?? I love his expression! It's like...ooooooopppsss...did mom see that? Too cute!

Sarah-Anne said...

haha, tobin is cracking me up. thanks for putting a smile on my face!!

Margie said...

I don't know which one I liked the most! Loved Tobin looking over the window, and Shav's little shuffle at the end of the last one. All good - don't you wish you could save entire videos in a book?

Davene Grace said...

Margie - yes, I do!!

Elizabeth - so you noticed that about David? :) He actually hit the pull chain that hangs down from the ceiling fan/light, and the chain swung up and hit the glass around the lightbulb. Fortunately, it didn't break; but yeah, he had a second of panic because of it. :)