Thursday, March 3, 2011

Recipe Box - Garden Pasta Salad

When I flip through my notebook of recipes and see this one, I think, "Ah, summertime!"  But then, if I do this in the winter, I follow that thought with, "Wouldn't it be nice to have a taste of summer, even if it's below freezing outside?"  I answer myself, "Yes!" and then I make this salad.  :)

1 (1 lb.) package rotini (although other shapes work fine, too...also, sometimes I use the tri-color kind)
1 c. dried tomatoes, coarsely chopped (I always make it with fresh tomatoes, but I'm sure it would be delicious with dried ones)
2 c. sliced cucumber, cut into quarters (about 1 large)
1/2 c. chopped purple onion
1 (2.25 oz.) can sliced ripe olives, drained
1 (8 oz.) bottle ranch dressing
1/4 c. shredded Parmesan cheese
1/2 tsp. freshly ground pepper

Cook rotini according to package directions; drain.  Set aside

If using dried tomatoes, combine tomatoes and boiling water (enough to cover the tomatoes).  Cover dish and let stand 10 minutes.  Drain well.  (I, of course, skip this step by using fresh tomatoes.)

Combine rotini, tomatoes, cucumber, onion, and olives.  Stir in salad dressing, Parmesan cheese, and pepper.  Cover and chill 2 hours.

Yield: 6-8 servings

This recipe originally came from Southern Living.  It's one of those oldies that I first started making when I was a young newly-married wife, but every so often I still pull it out and make it.  I personally like the twist that the Ranch dressing brings to this pasta salad, rather than the oil/vinegar/Italian thing that most pasta salads use.  Nothing against oil/vinegar/Italian, of course, but I'd rather have that on a sub.  :)

2 comments:

Sally said...

This looks and sounds so good, I might just have to make a very small batch for myself. (Andrew does not eat pasta salads, but I love them.)

Margie said...

I'm going to try this! I suspect Wayne would love it. And maybe even Elizabeth. Though she claims to abhor vegetables, she'll eat anything with a little Ranch. Will let you know the results. Might have it tomorrow as an easy, delicious lunch.