Saturday, March 19, 2011

They're Not the Only Ones

My boys LOVE our new trampoline.



But they're not the only ones.

I, too, love that thing.  It has kept the boys occupied for HOURS, and it makes life so much easier (and the noise level inside our house so much more bearable) to be able to have them run outside and jump on it.  I love the fact that my sons are getting such good exercise.  I love how it draws the neighbor kids out of their houses and my boys share the fun with them.  I love how the boys come in with such hearty appetites after time on the trampoline.  I love how it provides a quick, easy, super-fun break for them when we're homeschooling but they need to use up some energy.  I love how their creativity is spurred on as they invent new games and ways of enjoying it (Dead Mummy being one of the most recent games, along with more sedate ones like Merry-Go-Round, which is pictured below).

But those aren't the only reasons.

I love it because it's fun for me to jump and run around on.  :)





Yesterday, I abandoned my usual decorum and freely jumped, regardless of the fact that the trampoline is right in the middle of our front yard where anyone could see me.  Josiah picked up the camera and started snapping, capturing forever the day when I acted like a kid again.

But that won't be the only time.  ;-)

13 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Oh what grand fun Davene!!! My parents blessed us kids with a trampoline growing up and I remember the thrill and excitement when we were told to use up some energy after a heavy dose of learning. To this day you can't keep me off of a trampoline! I never tired of it :P

Unknown said...

It does look like a lot of fun! Did you add a slide to the side?

Sally said...

Wow! This is great! I'm glad you took a window of time to become a kid again and enjoy it with your sons. You inspire me. Maybe I'll give horsey rides this afternoon or something, just to have fun with Paul & Hannah. (Even though my work is never all done.)

Misty said...

The slide on there is a great idea!! Looks like a lot of fun!

Pam said...

You have such a sweet family. I love seeing all your boys together, and love seeing you in the midst of them.
As Elizabeth said, we have loved having a trampoline. Maybe I should get myself back out on the trampoline and get into shape.)

Anonymous said...

Oh, what fun! My friend had a trampoline when I was a kid and I enjoyed many hours on it. Don't forget the extra exercise of all the laughing it causes! Truly a stress-buster!

Patti said...

We are in the process of beginning a house hunt, and after peering into the backyard of a house we drove by yesterday, I whispered to my husband, "There is DEFINITELY room for a trampoline! In the SHADE!!" and he rolled his eyes. Honestly, I know the kids will love it, and I also know that I will love it--for all of the reasons you mention. And what about star-gazing? Trampolines are great for after dark ruminations on the heavens.

Homeschool on the Croft said...

Definitely one of the best things we ever bought too.
Though after 4 kids I wasn't, er... sure of the consequences of my bouncing..(thought it best for all concerned to watch only!)

Davene Grace said...

I loved reading all your memories of trampoline fun, too!

JDaniel4's Mom - yes, Jeff added the slide to it; it makes a perfect way to get on and off it. (Although, I'm embarrassed to admit, I JUST came in from jumping on the trampoline with the boys before afternoon quiet time; and as I was getting off the slide, it broke! Actually it just came unattached from the trampoline, but I landed on the ground with a thump, and my pride took a fall, too. :) Right when it happened, I was telling Josiah, who was standing a little ways away, that the slide wasn't made for my ol' mother-of-four hips...and then, plunk, down I fell! Mortifying!) :) I'm sure Jeff will be able to reattach the slide somehow...and I'll be sure to stay off it!!!

Sally - my work is never all done either. Shhhh, don't tell, but sometimes I just go ahead and play anyway. ;-)

Patti - star-gazing! I love it! I hadn't thought of that use for it, but when our nights get warmer, we are definitely going to do that. Thanks! And I totally understand your reasoning concerning the house hunt--OF COURSE, it's important to get a house with room for a trampoline. And, being Texas, I'm sure the shade factor is equally as important!

Anne - I know what you mean about the...ahem...unexpected results of too much jumping. I'll just say I made sure to go to the bathroom right before I went out to the trampoline. ;-)

Thanks, friends!

Anonymous said...

Is that a slide for the little guys to get down with? Brilliant! Love that you had so much fun jumping :-)

Margie said...

Oh, Davene, I love these pictures of you! And, yes, it seems perfect, the absolute perfect thing for the boys. Oh, what fun you all are having.

Mamajil said...

How fun!!! And what a fun mommy you are!!!!

Emily Sacra said...

Sorry I'm commenting on all your posts! Haha! I'm taking a break from Google Reader for Lent and am just not reading these posts :) I LOVE these pictures!