Thursday, February 23, 2012

Their Faces, Today

It started at lunch today when Josiah and David asked me to get out the camera to take pictures of the "faces" they had created using their food.  Josiah used curried lentils for eyes, banana chunks for ears, string cheese for a mouth, rice for a mustache and beard, and his spoon for a pipe!  (Why a pipe?  I have no idea!)  
David's was a little different: curried lentils for the ears, rice for the mouth, a multivitamin for the (very small) beard, two vitamin C tablets for the nose, pieces of the gum he was chewing before lunch for the eyes, and some string cheese and goldfish crackers for the hair?  Or maybe the crackers were a hat?  I'm not sure; but oh yes, he also used a spoon for a pipe.
Before I snapped the shutter, both of the boys leaned down so that their own faces could be in the picture, too; and that's when it hit me.  These faces are precious.  This day is irreplaceable.  I want to capture this moment.  I want to remember what each of my sons looked like on Thursday, February 23, 2012--an otherwise ordinary day, but extraordinary because my eyes were suddenly opened to the treasure of this time that we have together.  Today.

After lunch, Tobin was glad for me to take his picture...
...and so was Shav.  They love having their picture taken; and the best part for them is when I immediately turn the camera around and let them see the back of it so they can see their picture right away.  :)

With these kinds of thoughts rolling around in my heart today, it's no wonder that the Aerosmith song, "I Don't Want to Miss a Thing," was the soundtrack I heard inside my head.  I'm not a big fan of the screechy parts of that song.  ;-)  But the words express what I feel inside:

I don't want to miss one smile.
I don't want to miss one kiss.
I just want to be with you,
Right here with you, just like this.
I just want to hold you close,
Feel your heart so close to mine,
And just stay here in this moment
For all the rest of time...

Because of that, it's no surprise at all that I had no choice but to capture their faces, today.

1 comment:

Sarah-Anne said...

i cannot WAIT for these moments with my own kiddos.