Friday, February 17, 2012

The New Addition to My Laundry Room

As I was working in my laundry room tonight, I suddenly realized that I had neglected to blog about a wonderful change that was recently made in that room.  Now I won't blame you one bit if you don't get as excited as me about this change; my enthusiasm will more than make up for what you lack, believe me.    ;-)  But here it is, a fantastic new friend in my laundry room...
 A rack.  A laundry rack.  Gorgeous, isn't it?  ;-)
With being a stay-at-home mom, I obviously spend quite a bit of time on household tasks; and because of that, I like to learn how to do those tasks well: efficiently and joyfully.  I'm always interested in reading and hearing how other people manage the "systems" that run a home; and often when I become acquainted with a new idea, I analyze it to see if it would work for me and bring some benefit to my home and family.
So it is with laundry.  I've heard from several sources about a family closet--one room (or closet, if it's quite large) of the home where all the family's clothes are stored, rather than being divvied about in various dressers and closets in all the bedrooms.  With a family closet, you do the laundry, carry it all to one place, and put it away in one fell swoop, simplifying the process and saving time.  I like that idea!  But there's one downfall:  it wouldn't work for us because we don't have a room or closet that we could devote to that.
Another idea I ran across, however, was to have bins in the laundry room for each person in the family, so that the clothes belonging to that person could be immediately folded and put into that bin until the person put his/her own clothes away.  I contemplated that and decided that it could work very nicely for us.  After all, we're blessed with a laundry room that's large enough for such an endeavor; and, even more importantly, having the boys (just Josiah and David, at this point in time) be responsible to put their own clothes away would not only help me out but also train them in one more step along the path to maturity.
When I first ran the idea by Jeff, I was thinking of getting some wooden shelves to hang on the wall to hold the bins...or, alternatively, using some boards we already have and sawing them to the right length before painting them and attaching them to the wall.  Of course, I wouldn't be the one actually doing the work.  ;-)  Since Jeff would, I was eager to hear what he thought.  He came up with an even better idea: using this wire rack that had been out in the root cellar/pottery shed.  Perfect!  It didn't cost anything, and it saved us (him) the trouble of figuring out how to securely anchor shelves into the wall so that if an over-eager boy pulled on them, they wouldn't come tumbling down.
When he pulled this rack out of the root cellar, it was filthy: covered with cobwebs and smelling of mice.  The first thing we did was leaving it out in the rain and letting nature wash it for us.  :)  Then Jeff kindly painted it white for me (it was black originally), and it was ready to move into the laundry room.
I had gotten these bins at the dollar store and had a lot of fun one evening making labels for them.  For Josiah, his name in purple (his favorite color) and a picture of a runner, since that is one of Josiah's latest interests.  David got a soccer player and his name in green (his favorite color).  For Tobin Bear, what else could I choose but a picture of a teddy bear?  :)  Tobin's name is supposed to be yellow (his favorite color), but our printer didn't work very well and spit forth a green-yellow instead.  Shav always says his favorite color is red, so I used that for his name; but since he doesn't correctly identify colors yet with any consistency, who knows whether that will really remain his favorite color.  At any case, it's different than the other boys, so I went ahead and used it...along with a cute picture of a baby tiger.  If you're wondering about our daughter's bin, I'll let you know that yes, she already has one, labeled with her name and a picture of a flower; but in the photo above, I turned her bin around so you couldn't see the label.  Can't give away that secret yet, you know.  ;-)
Where are the bins for Jeff and I?  Well, our clothes are obviously bigger and wouldn't fit into a bin very well, so I just fold them and put them in one of our laundry baskets until I carry them upstairs to put them away.

I've been using this system for a couple of weeks now, and I'm quite pleased with it.  Anything that helps with such a integral part of family life makes me happy; and since, as a family of six-almost-seven, we make a lot of laundry, I might as well figure out a way to enjoy it while I do it!  :)

The other thing that makes me happy about this is the cost: for the whole project, I spent just a little over seven dollars.  A dollar each (plus tax) for the five bins, and about a dollar each for the two cans of white spray paint that I bought.  Without a doubt, it was money well spent!

9 comments:

Unknown said...

This is such a great idea. How fun that the boys all helped design their own labels.

Anonymous said...

This is what we do and with the laundry room upstairs, it kind of IS a family closet, even though "technically" the bins should be emptied. They rarely are. But I LOVE just folding and tossing into bins. Something tells me that your laundry room will stay neater than mine. Great work, Friend!!!! julie

bekahcubed said...

How wonderful to find a new system that works well for you. It's one of those systems that I might have to file away in my memory just in case I ever find myself doing laundry for more than one.

Anonymous said...

oh love this! It looks very nice and clean as well! Since we are on the same floor as the laundry room I just pull it out throw it in a laundry basket. Then dump it on our bed, sort out Sammy's stuff back into the basket. Fold and put our away. Take Sammy's to his room and fold and put it away. Works for this house and the size of our family for now!

Valerie said...

When we were house hunting this summer, a house with a family closet was on my wish list. We didn't get one... but I still dream about it! :) I do have a good size laundry room, and I have those exact shelves (painting them white was brilliant! I really don't like them black) I have had many ideas to use on my one little nook in my laundry room, I'm not sure which idea will win out (cubbie/locker system, school storage, your laundry idea here...?) but this summer I'll have to pick something and go with it. Ya know, after I move the last of the boxes out of the laundry room.

Anonymous said...

What a terrific idea! I wish I had such organizational skills...oh, wait a minute, it isn't the skills I lack, it's the laundry room. My washer and dryer are in my kitchen! Life would be so much easier for me if I had a separate laundry room!

Sarah-Anne said...

For some reason, this makes my future homemaker heart sing. Good for you, friend!

Amanda said...

Have you checked out pinterest yet Davene? It's a great website - you post ideas and get other ideas from other people...its kind of like facebook but for crafty people or just getting peoples ideas. It's very clever. I think you would really love it.

Unknown said...

This is fantastic! I also get excited about organising. And look at those sunny yellow walls ... that's got to brighten up your laundry task!