Sunday, February 5, 2012

Preacher Boys

As I've mentioned before, Josiah, David, and I have been memorizing the first chapter of James this homeschool year.  At this point, we only have about five verses to go until we finish the chapter; but some time back, I got out the video camera, at their request, to capture them "preaching" the verses we had learned so far.  (Actually, I think Josiah's video cuts off before he says all the verses he knew at the time.)  We try to vary how we review these verses, but the way I like it the best is to watch them bring some expression to it, rather than just mumbling the words.  That's not to say that there's no mumbling in these videos!  Trying to get them to slow down, enunciate clearly, etc. is challenging.  But I'm so grateful for their quick minds to learn and their eager hearts to tuck away the treasure of God's Word; may it protect them always!


I've wondered at times if any of our sons will become preachers.  Not only do they have a daddy who has had that call on his life, but they've also been blessed with rather loud voices.  ;-)  As they've blasted our eardrums during their toddler and preschool years, I've thought that maybe they were just getting ready for some preaching someday.  :)  But I jest.  In reality, the call to preach and serve in that way is a high calling, not to be entered into lightly.  If God so calls them, then Amen!  If not, Amen to that, too.  Our hearts' desire is for them to be faithful to the purpose God has laid out for them--no matter what it is.  

With that said, if David ever does become a preacher, I sure hope he remembers to put on a shirt before his sermons.  ;-)


2 comments:

bekahcubed said...

Love David's twiddling thumbs--and rapid switch to much LARGER arm gestures. He's definitely an energetic little preacher-boy.

Valerie said...

That was adorable, hysterical, and inspiring. :) We are currently working on Psalm 23. This is the longest verse my kids have worked on so far. I can't wait to show them the video's of your boys so they can see other kids learn this stuff too! :)