Monday, February 6, 2012

A Tale of Three (Four?) Thumb-Suckers

Once upon a time, there was a girl named Davene; and she sucked her thumb.

Her parents have told her that, when she was born, it already looked like she had been sucking her thumb in her mother's womb; and so it went, on through her early childhood, a regular habit for her.  Until the dentist said that thumb-sucking was messing up her teeth, and her parents said she had to stop, and she, a big girl of five years, did.  

**********

Once upon a time, there was a boy named David; and he sucked his thumb.

His parents were happy about that!  It was so much easier to have him self-soothe with his thumb than it had been a few years earlier to have his big brother be dependent on a pacifier that would invariably fall out of his mouth during the night, and sometimes fall out of the crib, and have to be retrieved by a bleary-eyed, barely-awake parent.  The inconvenience of pacifiers made the convenience of a thumb seem like the most wonderful blessing.  So David sucked his thumb...when he was two years old...when he was three years old...and even when he was four years old, all the way until HE DECIDED it was time to stop, helped along by the promise that he could CHEW GUM when he turned five years old and when he stopped sucking his thumb.  

His parents had faithfully asked David's dentist, at every appointment, whether the thumb-sucking was doing damage to his teeth; and the dentist always smiled and said no.  David wasn't sucking long enough or strongly enough to mess up his teeth, and there was no need to force him to stop yet.  It was always a relief to hear that.

After David so easily and calmly stopped sucking his thumb, his mother smiled a little as she remembered other people warning her that, yes, it was convenient for a child to suck his thumb, but just wait until the time came to break the habit.  Then it was horrible!  Not so for her, and for her dear little David.  She was so proud of him.

**********

Once upon a time, there was a boy named Tobin; and he sucked his thumb.

Just like they did when his big brother David started sucking his thumb, Tobin's parents rejoiced to see him begin to do so in infancy.  No lost pacifiers = more peace and sleep in the home.  Besides, Tobin was just so adorable with his little thumb in his sweet little mouth.

But then the first dentist appointment came along; and unlike with David, this time the dentist issued a caution to his parents:  Tobin is developing an overbite.  He needs to stop sucking his thumb.  You need to start helping him--slowly and gently--but progressing towards the goal of no more thumb-sucking.

Tobin's mother felt a little discouraged, but not too much.  After all, hadn't it been as easy as pie for David to give up sucking his thumb?  Surely it wouldn't be so bad with Tobin!

She was wrong.  It was bad.  

With David, he had come to the decision on his own, so it was easier to stick with it.  With Tobin, he was being compelled by other people to do something he didn't want to do--much harder.

With David, the enticement of freely chewing gum was a strong motivator.  With Tobin, although he thought it might be fun to chew gum, that factor was a much weaker force.

With David, the parents didn't have to intervene at all; they simply watched their son do all the work of breaking a habit.  With Tobin, the parents began to realize that they would have to be involved.  But how?

Wrapping a bandage around the thumb?  (The grandpa suggested that.)  Having Tobin wear a mitten?  (The mommy often did that.)  Using many verbal reminders?  (Yes, of course, but that didn't seem to be breaking the habit very quickly at all!)  

The parents were stumped.  So the mother did the best thing she could think of.  She wrote a blog post and asked her readers if they had any good ideas for how to break a child of the thumb-sucking habit.  ;-)

Meanwhile, she loved her beloved son Tobin and cherished every stage of his development, even the difficult stage of saying no to the thumb!

~ just a note about these pictures...Tobin only sucks his left thumb, so of course he only needs to wear a mitten on his left hand...but he often insists on a mitten for his right hand, too...these pictures show him one day when he had been so exhausted in the afternoon that he fell asleep on the couch...the right mitten, the useless one, is still on his hand...the left one?  whereabouts unknown...sigh

**********

I suppose this tale of thumb-suckers isn't yet complete.  After all, there's been no mention of the littlest man, Shav, and his experience with thumb-sucking.  To summarize it, Shav followed in the footsteps of David and Tobin and grew to love sucking his thumb, too.  Until the awful day he fell from a lap, landed hard on the kitchen floor, and apparently was in so much pain that he could find no solace in sucking his thumb (or sucking anything, for a while).  At the time, I lamented the fact that his thumb-sucking days were over; but now that I'm experiencing the challenge of helping Tobin break this habit, I'm suddenly grateful that we don't have to be fighting this particular battle with two of our boys!  "There's no great loss without some small gain," as my grandma would say; and I see with clarity now that Shav stopping his thumb-sucking was truly gain.

But now I wonder whether our little girl who's on the way will decide to suck her thumb, too.  Should we let her, if she seems so inclined?  Should we encourage it?  Which is really better:  pacifier or thumb?

Hmmm...something to ponder...  But even more pressing:  how do we get Tobin to stop sucking his thumb???

9 comments:

Miriam said...

I didn't stop until the orthodontist said I needed to :) I think I was 11? It was purely habit and only at night, and while I missed it the first several days, I am still alive today and not sucking my thumb anymore ;)

We did not try REALLY hard, but Susannah was never interested in her thumb. Since she had a need for "non-nutritive sucking" it was easy to give her a pacifier. Now that she is almost two, we are realizing that it, too, is something we will have to eventually teach her how to live without. In some ways, her thumb would be easier (for all the reasons you mentioned!!!)... but in other ways it is easier to be able to tell her "your paci is at home on your bed with Bear" ... or "not right now, you can have it when you go nite-nite." Of course I keep a spare in my bag or purse :) A few months ago she would fuss and whine at those answers, now she is more accepting. I don't know yet how we're going to break the night/nap-time habit, but we'll cross that bridge when we get to it :)

I am sure that you and Jeff and Tobin will survive :) (What about that nasty, awful "stop nail biting" polish that used to be around? I don't know if that is still sold anywhere, but I wouldn't want to suck THAT!)

Sally said...

Just a really quick note, we used safety pins to pin Hannah's mittens to her sleeves so she wouldn't pull them off and suck her thumb (which she would do unconsciously in her sleep). It was very helpful that Hannah was extremely motivated not to suck her thumb in order to get a lollipop in the a.m. We, too, hastened her stopping thumb sucking because it was messing up her upper gum line. Otherwise, I don't know how long we would have let it go on.

As for your baby girl (and subsequent other children) I would not encourage thumb-sucking. Hannah has been our only thumb-sucker, and we did not encourage it with any of our children. None of ours "took" to a pacifier very well either, so they just figured out other ways to self-soothe. Paul's was to snuggle on his blankies, and Marie's is to chew on her blankie. I think she figured out the chewing of the blankie rather than snuggling because she was strapped on her back onto the sleep wedge (due to her reflux) for so long. It's a little hard to truly snuggle on your back, I think. So, she just pulled up the blankie and chewed on it.

I know Tobin won't suck his thumb in college! Now, he might get crooked teeth and a misaligned jaw if he continues sucking his thumb for a long time, but I bet, with the Lord's help, you'll get it figured out before that point.

Mike and Katie said...

Our dental hygenist recommended sewing socks on Amanda's pj's. I sewed them to everal shirts that could be easy slipped over her head at naptime too. I think it took about a month when she was about 14 months old. About three days of complaining at night and then a month of wearing the pj's to get over the habit.

I would let Baby Girl use whatever works but try and to get rid of either right around one year. It's just easier at one than two or older.

By the way, I'm no seamstress. I just hand-stitched the socks on by stretching out the sock and the sleeve together.

Valerie said...

I didn't have any thumb suckers in my house. My boys both took pacifiers. Joseph gave his up shortly before his third birthday, with the promise of a build a bear trip if he put all of his paci's in the trash. He then had a sweet little giraffe to cuddle and we even put a sound chip in it that was Roger and I saying "I love you". Worked great for him... but you can't throw away a thumb so I don't know how well that would work in your situation. :)

sigh

It's hard being a Mama sometimes, isn't it?

They sell thumb sucking guards, but Tobin might very well figure out how to take it off. I like what the previous poster said about sewing socks to his sleeves.

Praying that you find a solution that works for you and Tobin.

Unknown said...

JDaniel loved his pacies! It was a struggle to let go of them even when they didn't work due to his teeth puncturing them.

Heart of Wisdom Academy said...

Thank you. I'm putting mittens on tonight!!!!! I actually told my 6 year old last night, that he wasn't allowed to suck his finger any longer and I tied his finger to his other finger to deter him. His finger is deformed from 6 years of sucking :-( Thank you for the tip, will use gloves tonight!!

Anonymous said...

No helpful hints...my big boy who was a thumb sucker until age 8 (we called him "little naughty suckathumb" after the title of a story in an old book that was probably designed to traumatize kids into stop sucking their thumbs back in the 1800s) had no dental issues, while some of my kids who didn't suck their thumb needed expanders and braces. Thankfully, it was spaced out enough to not be both girls at once.

Of my 3 littlest suckathumbs, I can see that one will probably need ortho treatment. But is it the thumb or genetics? I had fine teeth. Dad had extensive ortho work. Who knows?

I sucked my fingers until I was old enough to realize I needed to quit or one day when I grew up and got married someone else would see me sucking them. Before that my parents tried nasty polish and treats and all kinds of incentives but until I was ready, none worked.

Isn't it fun to try to figure all of these individuals out? In my case, the more children I had, the more I learned that I don't really have answers. But here's a {{{hug}}}. julie

Elizabeth said...

Sigh. We're getting there with this battle too. The last time the boys went to the dentist he mentioned that we would need to begin to work on the process of "no more sucking" over the next couple of years. He didn't seem too concerned yet, but mentioned that it is something we should think about.

Ethan and Grayson only suck their thumb if they are holding their "bookie" (blanket) in their hand too. I am thinking that hopefully if we remove the blankies, then the sucking will subside too.

Does Tobin have anything that he always has to have near him or hold when he is sucking?

I do like the sock idea. I have also heard about the thumb guards. I think they sell one on One Step Ahead website.

Best of luck Davene!

Anonymous said...

i sucked my thumb into my teens and only quit when I got braces. It REALLY messed up my whole mouth, but to this day i really don't know why I did it that long except it was solace in a tornado of life.