Sunday, February 5, 2012

After a Plateau, It's Time to Arise Again

My alarm still went off at 7:00 a.m. every morning this past week.

I still got up when it went off.

I still tiptoed downstairs and found my way to the couch to read my Bible and spend time with God before the boys awoke.

I did all the same stuff.

But it wasn't the same.  Not as victorious...or joyful...or meaningful...or impacting.  Not as convicting...or inspiring...or life-changing.  It was tinged with a just-going-through-the-motions feeling.  It was OK, but not GREAT!  And in this life, I'm shooting for GREAT!

Rather than beat myself up too much about the way this past week went, I'm choosing to simply see it as a plateau, a chance to reevaluate as I walk along and gaze up at the next mountaintop.  And starting tomorrow morning, I'm ready to climb again!

Two things I'm planning to change:  first, rather than head for the couch, I'm going to head for the kitchen table. Much less temptation to fall asleep there.  ;-)  Second, I'm going to have a definite plan for what to read, rather than the somewhat aimless wandering I did this past week.  To hold me publicly accountable, I'll state here that I'm going to study I John (such a profound book about love!) and read Crazy Love by Francis Chan.  I started both of those this past week, but made slow progress as I was distracted by various other spiritual rabbit trails. Don't get me wrong: sometimes the spur-of-the-moment diversion in the Bible leads to an oasis of refreshment, but I at least want to have a solid plan and make some progress in it.

So, that is my mountain-climbing plan for this next phase of the Arise project.  May all my steps be directed by Him!!

As I was looking for another worship song with the theme of "arise," I came across this powerful video.  Some of these images are so graphic that I don't even want to look at them; but when I force myself to keep my eyes open, I'm drawn anew to the love the Father has for us...that He would sacrifice His Son for me.  How can it be?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Every Monday I read these posts and every Monday I promise I will do better. I so need to work on this.