Tuesday, February 14, 2012

How Does He Love Me? I'm Gonna Count...

Elizabeth Barrett Browning beautifully and famously expressed her love in a poem that begins with the line, "How do I love thee?  Let me count the ways."  With all due respect to dear Elizabeth, I'm going to turn her well-known lines around and make a list of {some of} the ways my own beloved shows his love for me.  Ready?

1. He makes it obvious that his primary commitment is to God, to me, and to our children.  Whether you see him at work (where his workstation is surrounded by pictures of us, books about the Bible, etc.), on Facebook (where one can't help but notice his devotion to growing spiritually and his love for his family), or in real life (where his conversation is peppered with references to, again, God and family), you can't mistake the fact that he is a faithful husband, father, and child of God.  He has put up fences in all aspects of his life to protect his heart; and by so doing, he's done an incredible job of protecting mine as well.  What a gift to have a trustworthy husband!

2. He leads our family spiritually and disciples his sons in the ways of the Lord--through conversation and example.  It wasn't until Jeff was late in his teen years that his parents became involved in church, so Jeff didn't grow up with the example of how to lead a family spiritually; yet he's learned so much and does so well with our children.

3. One night recently, he and I both happened to be awake in the early hours of the morning.  I guess I was a little groggy, even if I was technically awake, because I can't remember all that he said; but I do remember him telling me several times that I'm amazing.  :)  Well!  I don't feel amazing most of the time, but I appreciate his words nonetheless.  :)

4. When his customers talk with him about the fact that our fifth child is on the way, and they ask him if we're "done" (expecting a hearty "YES!", I suppose), he often tells people something like this:  "Well, not necessarily.  After all, I'm married to Superwoman, and she really loves children and does a great job with them."  Again, I don't feel like Superwoman, but how comforting to know that my husband has--and expresses--that much confidence in me.

5. He asks me, "Are you OK?"  This has happened during other pregnancies, too...as my due date gets closer, he begins to ask me that more and more.  :)  It's just a simple thing, but it's effective at letting me know that, first of all, he cares, and secondly, he's available to listen if there's anything I want to say.

6. He also asks fairly regularly, "How was your day?"  Again, a simple question, but it indicates his attentive ear and opens the door for further conversation, which is HUGE to a woman!!  :)

7. During a recent trip to the dollar store to let the boys pick out a gift, he came home bearing an adorable little Eeyore figurine for our daughter.  :)  I don't think he'll spoil her, but I'm pretty sure he'll lavish her with lots of love.  :)

8. He routinely helps with the boys' baths.  He's done this for years, and I'm sure I haven't told him nearly enough how much I appreciate his assistance with that.

9. If I'm going to the grocery store, he'll ask how much I need, then usually add $20 or so to whatever amount I say.  For example, if I look at my list and say, "Oh, $40 should do it," he'll hand me $60.  :)

10.  He's painting Tobin's room--NOT because he cares a great deal what color the walls are, but simply because...I do.  

11. He always fries the tortillas.  If we're having tacos (like we did tonight), I never (literally, NEVER) fry tortillas for the shells.  That's his job and always has been.  Same with frying taquitos or frying chips.  Always his job.  I love that.  :)

12. Sometimes he makes breakfast for us; and whereas my breakfasts for the boys involve telling them they can open the cupboard with all the cereal/granola bars/etc. and choose what they want, his breakfasts involve frying bacon, sometimes sausage, sometimes eggs, sometimes making cinnamon-sugar tortilla roll-ups.  It's astounding the amount of bacon my boys can gobble up, and frying bacon is one of those kitchen jobs I do only when I have to, but I sure don't love it.  Jeff, on the other hand, willingly--and skillfully--does the job because he loves us.

13. He's patient with my shortcomings in so many different areas, everything from piles of dirty laundry to unexplained mood swings.  The things that I think must bug him nearly to death don't seem to bother him much at all.  Maybe because he's just wired differently as a man?  Or maybe because of his great, sacrificial, tender love for me.

14. He has confidence in me to teach our children well (he doesn't breathe down my neck or look over my shoulder as I homeschool), but he's also available to give his input when I'm stuck in a quandary--whether it be about which math curriculum to use, or whether it's truly important for our children to learn Latin.  I really appreciate that balance.

I was planning to stop at 14, since Valentine's Day is on the 14th and all.  But I thought of a couple more things that I just have to include!  :)

15. He painted my toenails.  At this stage of life when I can barely bend over far enough to see my toenails, much less stay in that position long enough to slap some polish on them, it is a much-appreciated act of service for him to paint them for me.  Now when I happen to catch a glance of them, I smile when I see their perky color.  :)

16. He had flowers delivered here at home for me yesterday morning.
This makes me happy for several reasons.  
 First of all, he had flowers delivered!!  That doesn't happen very often at all, and of course, it's a delightful feeling to open the door and accept such a special package from the deliveryman.
But second, he chose tulips instead of roses.  Not that I have anything against roses--I like them, too!--but I really, really like tulips, and I appreciate him going against the grain of what's expected on Valentine's Day.
 And third, he had them delivered yesterday, instead of today, because it was cheaper.  :)  I love that about him!!!
Now that we're approaching our 15th anniversary, we're way past the stage of "you must impress me with how much money you spend on me."  Our love, although still romantic, also has the feel of the warmest, coziest blanket you could ever imagine.  And daily, in these ways and so many others I didn't mention, he wraps me in it.

What a blessed, undeserving, but grateful, woman I am!

5 comments:

Stacey said...

I can relate to so many of these things in my own husband. Just one more reason I think these men would be really great friends. You write so eloquently of Jeff. You are very blessed to have such a man gift. I know that having an awesome relationship with your husband is one of the rarest and most precious gifts these days. I treasure it as I know you do also!!!

Sally said...

Jeff is right. You ARE superwoman! I like the way you explain the love in your marriage, like a warm, cozy blanket. I'm pretty sure that's the best way I could describe ours--it's comfortable, is reassuring, and it's wonderful, even if it's not flashy and glitzy all the time. Steady was the only word I could come up with today, but you put it in even more descriptive terms.

Unknown said...

It is such a gift to have found such an amazing man. You are blessed.

I got my roses on Sunday for the same reason.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful flowers and list! I am not a big valentine's day fan.. Tim's gift to me.. he scrubbed our bathroom toilet (I had tried to get it really clean and couldn't so he used brute force and now it shines)!!

Anonymous said...

Your hubby is a keeper, but I guess you know that after 15 years! My husband started painting my toenails for me when I was pregnant and he still does it for me just because I enjoy it so much.