Thursday, October 10, 2013

Remember When I Said We Each Memorized a Poem?

In this post from August, I mentioned how each of us chose a poem to memorize during this past summer. A few weeks ago, I recorded our efforts; and tonight I'm finally getting around to posting them.  :)

Shav memorized "Humpty Dumpty," a wonderful classic to begin his study of poetry with.  :) 
Tobin looked through a book of old Mother Goose poems and chose "Hector Protector"; I especially enjoyed his hand motions.  :)
David's choice was "I'm Nobody! Who are you?" by the one-and-only Emily Dickinson.
When I first brought up the subject of memorizing a poem, Josiah immediately chose "Jabberwocky" and memorized--and recited!--it very quickly.  My favorite line?  "The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!"  Cracks me up...  :)
And lastly, the poem I chose. I am extremely fond of this poem by John Donne; the meaning is SO rich and powerful.  But my boys told me I smiled too much as I was reciting it.  I was afraid of that.  *sigh*  ;-)  Next time I choose a poem to memorize and recite publicly, it'd better be something light and cheerful!  :)


2 comments:

Unknown said...

What fun! My son loves to record his voice. We need to make a whole video.

Valerie said...

oh my, we enjoyed them all. David cracked us up though. We watched his twice. :)

I think we'll copy you and learn a poem a piece this fall. :) Fun!