Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Living With--and Homeschooling--a Comedian

David, David, David...  He is energy.  He is laughter.  He is drama.  He is a treasure.

Since I am neither an extrovert nor a comedian, I find myself continually surprised by David; and usually, I end up laughing at his antics.  But sometimes all I can do is shake my head and wonder where he comes up with these things!

For example, at the beginning of our joint school time every day, we take turns saying something we're grateful for, which I record in our gratitude journal; then we each pray, thanking God for that item and also petitioning Him on behalf of someone.  Some people show up in our prayers every day--for example, a local 12-year-old boy named Sam who has leukemia, a guy from San Diego named Andy who is biking and running across the country to raise money for The Children's Inn at NIH, and Lizzy, the girl who was hit by a van in the road in front of our house on Labor Day.  On one particular day, Josiah prayed first and named a few things that he wanted God's special help for, including healing from his cold.  When David prayed next, he prayed for Sam, Andy, Lizzy, and Michael.  Michael?  Who's that?  Sure, we know lots of Michaels, but which one was David thinking of and why was he praying for him?  Josiah and I looked at each other and kind of shrugged our shoulders; but when David was done praying, we immediately asked him why he prayed for Michael.  "Well," he began with his trademark grin, "Josiah prayed for 'my cold,' so I did that, too!"  :)

I had never realized, until that moment that "Michael" and "my cold" really do sound so similar.  Of course, David knew all along what Josiah was talking about when he prayed for "my cold," but David also knew that he could get a laugh out of us by pretending to misunderstand.  I'm noticing that when David thinks he can get a laugh, he can hardly resist doing whatever it takes to bring forth that laugh.  :)

After we pray, we recite part of James together.  A couple years ago, we memorized the first chapter; but because it's been so long, we needed to review that chapter quite a bit before we go on to the next one.  This morning David did cartwheels in the middle of the living room the whole time he was reciting.  "My brethren, count it all joy..." and over he would go "...when you fall into various trials..." heels over head "...knowing that the testing of your faith..." another cartwheel "...produces patience!"

A week or so ago, David "preached" the whole passage, and boy, did he ever!  You might have thought he was a Southern Baptist preacher.  :)  He gestured and pointed--at me, mostly--and then he started switching the pronouns so that rather than hearing "If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask of God," I heard "let her ask of God."  Accompanied by a vigorous finger pointing right at me, that command caught my attention, and I nearly dropped to the ground, yelling, "Yes, brother, I'll ask!  I'll ask!!"  :)

David finished the verse, "...and it will be given to him."  And then he smiled big and said, "Now let's sing a hymn.  La la la!"  :)

When he spoke of the "double-minded man, unstable in all his ways," he wobbled around the living room so much we couldn't help but determine in our hearts to avoid at all costs the terrible condition of being double-minded!

A few verses later, he quoted "So the rich man also will fade away in his pursuits."  "And dresses," he added quickly.  Well, yes, I suppose a rich woman might fade away in her dress although I'd never thought of that before.  :)

Because of David, our Scripture recitation takes longer than it otherwise would; but it's filled with more smiles, more spunk, and honestly, more meaning.

Come to think of it, because of David, life is filled with more smiles, more spunk, and more meaning.  Thank You, God, for choosing him to be in our family!  :)

David's been keeping up with his daily jokes over at his own blog; in fact, we just recorded a few more videos today to use in the upcoming week.  Check it out if you want another taste of David's humor.  :)

No comments: