Saturday, October 5, 2013

Counting to Ten

It's just a common cold...I guess...this sickness that's been plaguing us this week.  Josiah got it on Monday and felt so poorly that he stayed home from children's choir practice--a highly unusual event for him to miss practice!  Some of the rest of us have succumbed to the germs as the week has progressed.  My worst day was Thursday; but actually ever since Tuesday, I've been feeling poorly.  I don't remember feeling quite so run-down by colds in the past, but maybe my memory is too optimistic--forgetting the actual degree of discomfort during previous sicknesses.  :)

At any rate, it has not been the greatest of weeks for me; but here at the end of it, I want to get my mind going in a different direction by making a simple gratitude list.

10 Reasons to Give Thanks, Even During This Challenging Week

1. I couldn't pull myself together to get much regular school work done with the boys this week--for one thing, my voice and throat wouldn't cooperate--but the timing was perfect, because the standardized tests Josiah and David needed to take had just arrived in the mail, and I was able to administer those to them (it didn't require as much talking as a normal school day would!).  I didn't feel so much like our days were wasted because we used the time to complete those tests.

2. When the thought of making dinner on Thursday was overwhelming, Jeff kindly brought home pizza for us.

3. When I still wasn't feeling much better by Friday and our plans for David's Family Night (going to our children's museum and then eating at Cracker Barrel) were needing to be cancelled, Jeff stepped up and made it a really special night for David: bringing home food from McDonald's (not something we get often, but definitely something that David loves), a new movie, and even donuts!

4. The boys are old enough to play really well independently; and during the times when I couldn't force myself up off the couch, they didn't seem to mind a bit because it gave them extra time to play!  :)

5. Moriah didn't get very sick--at least, not yet.  She might have had a touch of the cold, but nothing major.  She was her normal sweet self--maybe a little more snuggly than usual, but that was just fine with me.  And one great thing about her is that she's such a good sleeper and is happy to go to her crib when it's time for naps or bedtime--a huge blessing.

6. Although some things were on my agenda for this week, there was nothing too important that couldn't be changed or eliminated.  It was a good week to be flexible and to start cutting things out of the schedule so we could hunker down at home and recover.

7. It's amazing what a dose of acetaminophen does to help my aches and pains, particularly the troublesome headaches I've had this week.  I feel blessed to live in a country where medicines are available, cheap, and (usually) safe.

8.  Tonight I started to feel a surge of energy, a welcome sensation after feeling so sluggish the past few days.  The energy surge didn't stay as long as I would have liked, but at least it gave me hope that more is on the way.  :)

9. There was no throw-up!  And every time we get sick with no vomiting, I say, "Thank You, God, for this great blessing!"  :)

And the final blessing on my list for tonight?

10. Even when I'm sick and grumpy, I'm still surrounded by people who love me.
And I love them back.  :)


(By the way, David's joke of the day for day 3 and for day 4 are posted on his blog.)  :)

2 comments:

sally said...

I'm so sorry you all have been sick! We have all been well, except Rachel Anne. She was EXTREMELY fussy and crying and clingy for about 5 days, and I thought it was just teeth. Then, she broke out in the awful rash all over her head, face, and trunk. The doctor thinks it is some sort of virus. Now she still has that rash, but her fussiness is subsiding. Anyway, that was just our health update. I sure hope everyone in your house gets better very soon. Meanwhile, enjoy the lower-key life all you can.

Pam said...

I feel so thankful for Godly hubbies who are so sweet and understanding to help out. To me, one of the most wonderful helps is when someone will take care of dinner when I don't feel well; I just appreciate that so much. Hope you are all feeling better soon. I love David's jokes... tell him I thought he was wonderful and so cute.