Thursday, April 26, 2012

Love's Labor Done

If I could have written these words and taken these photographs, I would have.  They are the words and images of my heart, the outward expression of the thoughts I keep in my mind and savor during these early weeks of Moriah's life.  But I didn't write the words or take the pictures; instead, I was helped by two women--one of whom I know, and one I do not--but whose skill I was grateful to borrow and benefit from.  Sometimes the wisest thing is to let others speak for us.  

Photos by the lovely and talented Emily Sacra

Words by Carol Van Klompenburg
as quoted in When the Belly Button Pops, the Baby's Done by Lorilee Craker


Birth
One final push


And you burst forth
Wet and waiting,


Your farewell to the womb
And your welcome to the world.


Love's labor done
I gaze
Awed to silence.
Nine months you've kicked and squirmed
Seen through my womb darkly.


Now face to face
I murmur mother sounds
And touch your cheek and chin.


Love, which bubbled underground
For forty weeks,


Bursts skyward in a geyser
And melts heaven's gates.


In one eternal moment
I hear angel choirs
Echo my alleluia


To your maker and mine.


 * More pictures from this photo shoot can be found here on Emily's blog *

3 comments:

Unknown said...

What wonderful pictures! What a wonderful photograher you worked with.

Anonymous said...

Wow Emily did an amazing job!! WTG! These are stunning!!

Homeschool on the Croft said...

Oh Davene, what wonderful photos! I'm off to see more of them on Emily's own blog, but these are such a treasure. What a talented lady! And what a gorgeous subject she had for her photography ;)