Friday, October 28, 2011

He Wears Africa

Last evening, Josiah, David, and I, along with my parents, had the pleasure of watching the Mwamba Children's Choir perform.  I love to do things like this with my boys for so many reasons:
1. It exposes them to a style of music much different than what they otherwise experience.
2. It opens their eyes to another part of the world and helps chip away at the egocentric, the-Shenandoah-Valley-is-the-world mentality that is so natural for them to fall into.
3. It--hopefully--helps build their gratitude as they realize that the many blessings they enjoy are not equally poured out upon all the children of the world.  (Josiah, for example, on the way home, was talking about giving some of his money to support the children there.)
4. It's fun and builds great memories in our family!  :)

After the concert, David, being the gifts person that he is, pleaded with me to buy him a necklace.  Since I know how meaningful gifts are to him (and because I was glad to support the choir and all the children they care for in Africa), I agreed.  This is what he brought home...
...and now he can wear Africa around his neck.
Hopefully, the experience we had last night and the necklace he got will help him carry the beloved people of Africa, not only on the outside of his chest, but deep in his heart as well.  

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ohh so glad you guys got to go to that! I heard about it to late otherwise I would have loved to take Sammy! I am sure the necklace will help all of you guys remember the experience!

Unknown said...

I love that he now carries Africa over his heart!

Sally said...

You are a wise and sensitive mother to give your kids the right kind of exposure, and also to know what is so important to David. You have some of the most wonderful children!

Sarah-Anne said...

oh i LOVE it! i want one for myself :) what a great cause too.