Thursday, October 27, 2011

He Lives Above Our Compost Pile...

...but I do not know his name.
 For weeks, he's been living in a fine web which he built across the corner of our wooden box (cage? structure? thingamajigger?) at the edge of our garden.  Because spiders don't particularly scare me, I've mostly let him be, although I did throw a bunch of raked-up leaves on top of the compost one evening, and that disturbed his web enough that he rebuilt it in a different corner.  I haven't felt the urge to kill him because I don't think he's hurting anyone, and it's not a place where my little ones could even reach him and possibly get bitten.  I'm not sure why I think of him as a he, but I do.

But the real mystery is...
...what kind of spider is he?  The top photo shows his front side (I think), and the bottom photo shows his other side.  Besides spinning his web, I never see him do much; but he's almost always there when I toss scraps in that pile.

Who are you, Mr. Spider?

7 comments:

Unknown said...

He sure is pretty. I don't know what kinds of spider he is.

Miriam said...

Looks like what we always called a "garden spider" :)

Homeschool on the Croft said...

Ooooh, I have to be honest... you're braver than I am :(

Anonymous said...

He is pretty big! I am glad you have left him be.. I hate touching spider webs.. so if he wasn't in the way I totally would leave him too :0

Anonymous said...

I don't know what kind of spider he is. But, when I saw him I somehow knew his name...Oscar.

Davene Grace said...

Miriam - thanks for the tip! I did a little research and discovered that Garden Spider is a pretty good name for this creature (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yellow_garden_spider). But I also found out that who I thought was a he is probably actually a she. However...

Mary - I don't think she will mind being called Oscar, do you? I'll be sure to convey your greetings to Oscar the next time I dump scraps in the pile under her web. ;-)

Stacey said...

Just came across something that said this may be a writing spider.. Not sure what that is? but maybe something to look at. http://atomicrose.blogspot.com/2011/09/239-writing-spider.html