Monday, October 31, 2011

Bach Takes the Cake

(Or in this case, the ice cream...)  ;-)

We don't really do Halloween.

When Jeff was a child, he did, during the mostly secular years of his upbringing - dressing up, trick-or-treating, the whole nine yards.  Because of my parents' religious convictions, we never celebrated Halloween when I was young, but we surely had a ton of fun at harvest parties or other forms of alternative celebration.  I never felt deprived in the least because of the way we celebrated (or didn't celebrate, as the case may be) Halloween.

With our boys, it hasn't been a big issue.  Since they don't go to public school, they don't hear much about it, so even though they're aware of this holiday, it's not very important to them.  They do love to dress up, however; and when Josiah's choir was encouraged to dress in costume for last week's rehearsal, he was more than happy to do so.  We tried to think of what the *perfect* costume would be for him to wear to rehearsal (without us spending a penny on a new costume), and I think we succeeded.  :)

Without further ado, I present to you...  

Johann Sebastian Bach!!!
 Even though the robe was hot and the wig was itchy, Josiah gallantly wore it the whole time; and his determination paid off.  He was awarded the prize for best costume in his choir, and the reward was sweet.  Literally.  A gift certificate to our wonderful local ice cream shop.  I'll volunteer to take him when it's time to redeem it.  ;-)
 Josiah was SO EXCITED about winning the contest.  Every week, after he finishes with his choir rehearsal, he always comes to meet me in the room where David is having his choir class; and when he walked in that day, he was absolutely beaming.  Glowing.  Radiant.  Clearly, there was a huge, happy, roaring fire inside him, illuminating his face.  I was delighted beyond words for him.
And now, Mr. Bach, if you'll excuse me, I'll sign off for now...even though there is really a lot more I could say about you.  But, you see, I'm a little busy.  I've got some other things to do.  Like redo my blog design for November...and nurse my aching right hand and arm (I'm not sure how I hurt it, but it is really quite painful right now)...and finish reading this blog that I happened to discover today (ever since my maternal grandfather had Alzheimer's, my interest in books--and now blogs--about that disease has been high).  But it was certainly nice of you to drop by, Johann; and please feel free to come anytime.


Anytime at all.  :)

7 comments:

Homeschool on the Croft said...

What a sacrificial mother you are.... offering to take Mr Bach to the ice-cream store with his voucher.
Yes, I have that sacrificial gene too ;)

Love the outfit, and chuffed to bits for your boy..
A x

Unknown said...

I totally think you should get to go to get ice cream with him. It will help your arm.

Anonymous said...

What fun!! Congrats to Josiah! I totally think you need to take him to get ice cream! It is very sacrificial of you! ;-)

Sally said...

Congratulations to you for coming up with a costume using things around the house. I'm dying to know what the origin of that unique wig is! I mean, how many people have big, white curly wigs just lying around waiting for the next excuse to be worn!

Unknown said...

he looks fantastic -- but i'd also like to know where that wig came from!

bekahcubed said...

That is a truly spectacular costume! Bravo for little Bach.

I was one of those homeschoolers who never really missed Halloween--especially since we kids got a piece of candy for every kid who came to our door to get candy and a tract!

Davene Grace said...

You all make me smile. :)

About the wig... long ago when we lived in San Diego, Jeff needed a costume for a party we were going to at a friend's house. He had the black robe, compliments of his university graduation; and when we were in a costume shop, he found that wig. When he wore the robe and costume to that party, he powdered his beard white and carried a gavel so he could be a...what else?...judge.

In all honesty, Josiah was planning to be a judge, too; but on the day of his choir practice, we could not find the gavel anywhere. It's not at all unusual for the boys' things to go missing temporarily...if I had a dollar for every time I've heard, "Mom, I can't find my sword/shoes/book/car/belt/ball/fill-in-the-blank; do you know where it is?", I'd be a very rich woman. But usually when we all search for something, we find it fairly quickly. On that day, however, despite my very best efforts to guess what might have happened to that gavel, we could not find it for anything. So...Plan B... "Josiah, why don't you be Bach??" :)

It all worked out great, of course; but wouldn't you know it - a day or two later, one of the boys came to me with the gavel in his hand. He had found it...

...in the toothpaste drawer.

;-)