Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Why Do We Love Roses So Much?

Out of all the glorious flowers that bloom here and there and everywhere, why do we elevate roses to such an exalted position?
No other flower seems to have quite the reputation for expressing love that roses do.
Why are they at the top of the heap?
Was there once a king who gave roses to his beloved, thereby making that species famous?
Was it a poet who first immortalized them as the flower of love?
 I'm sure some historians would know the answer and could describe, in great detail, the origin and development of our affection for roses; but maybe the answer is simple.
Maybe we just love them because they're beautiful.  ;-)

6 comments:

Homeschool on the Croft said...

I was saying to myself as I was reading your post... It didn't need a king.... not a poet... Roses speak for themselves - can there be anything more beautiful than a rose about to open up? Simply breathtaking.

Unknown said...

Your words with these beautiful flowers are amazing!

I love the new header!

Anonymous said...

Love the new header and the pictures of the roses are beautiful!!

Sarah-Anne said...

such a good thing to wonder, friend!!

Unknown said...

I love the scent -- a rose without a smell holds no appeal for me. Love your new header and background!

Patti said...

I've always thought that perhaps it is because they are rather fastidious and difficult to grow. They represent something hard-fought and somewhat rare, like a diamond.

But, yes, maybe it is just because they are beautiful and smell so sweet.

I too love the photos of 4 boys in a tub!