Friday, May 27, 2011

From Dreams to Reality

When we lived in Israel, I got a book--a plain red book with blank pages--to fill with ideas for the future, dreams about the house we would have when we returned to the U.S., pictures I cut out of magazines that sparked my interest and gave me inspiration for future homemaking plans, etc.  
Many, MANY of those dreams haven't come true--and probably never will.  (For example, I thought we would buy some land when we returned and build a small log home on it; instead, my parents sold us the home place, and we've been here ever since.)  But on one page of my dream book was a page torn out of a magazine (probably Southern Living) with a picture of a tree on it.
The tree was a Chinese fringe tree, and I liked it so much when I saw it in the magazine that I decided I would try to have one someday.  

On one of my birthdays (maybe the first one I celebrated here after our return from Israel?), my dream came true, and Jeff got a fringe tree for me--actually, two.  
We planted one in front of my dad's office (which is now their home) and one in front of the other house on the property, the one in which they were living after they moved out of the home I now live in and before they moved into Dad's former office.
When I was down in that corner of the property yesterday, I had to admire--as I do every year--the lacy, delicate fringe that this tree dances in during the springtime.
 Not all of my green-thumb projects turn out well, but I'm happy that this particular one did.  It's lovely when reality turns out to be as nice as the dream was all along!  :)

2 comments:

Mike and Katie said...

So there are three houses on the property? I got a little confused with all that moving! ;)

Lovely tree! I just found a list from middle school about things I wanted when I grew up. The only two I hit on the list were: get married and live no more than 4 miles from town.

Something else I had on the list was "no kids and lots of pets." Turns out I like kids a lot more than pets. :)

Sarah-Anne said...

you know, i should make a list like that... ;)