Monday, May 9, 2011

Recipe Box - Donna's Mac & Cheese

I never met a mac & cheese I didn't like.

Someone famous once said that, and I couldn't agree more.  Oh, wait!  That was me that said that!  Well, scratch the "famous" part, and it's true.  ;-)

Of all the mac & cheeses in the world, this one stays near the top for me.  Maybe it's because it's my sister's recipe?  Maybe it's because it's just plain good.
When I asked my sister for the recipe, she told me--in a rather inexact, throw-in-some-of-this-and-a-handful-of-that sort of way--how she makes it.  It goes something like this...

Cook 5 cups macaroni.  Meanwhile, melt 1 stick of butter and stir 2 tablespoons of flour into it.  Add 2 cups of milk, salt and pepper to taste, and 1 (32 oz.) block of Velveeta.  (By now, it's apparent that this isn't a very healthy version of mac & cheese; but really, who ever heard of a healthy one?  It probably wouldn't be fit to eat!)  Melt that together, then combine that with your cooked, drained macaroni..  Pour that into a casserole dish, and sprinkle 2 cups of shredded cheddar cheese on top.  Pop it into the oven (I forgot to write down what temperature she said, but around 300-350 degrees works for me), until it's all melted and gooey.  Devour.

This makes quite a bit.  In fact, for our supper tonight, I halved the recipe; and we still ended up with leftovers.

Oh, one more thing!  Serving it with a rose is optional...
...but including a rose with anything is always a good idea.  ;-)

7 comments:

Homeschool on the Croft said...

Looks good, but what's Velveeta? It's not something we get on this side of the Pond - not by that name anyway - but we may be able to get something similar :)

Mamajil said...

YUM!!! Mac and cheese is one of those things in the south that is just about served with every meal. LOL


When I was a kid my mom would make mac and cheese as a main dish,(she was from Europe...) when I married my husband whose family is as southern as can be served Mac and cheese as a side dish....over the last 25 years mac and cheese has appeared on my table some times as a side dish and some times as a main course ;) your sisters recipe sounds wonderful I will have to try it!!
hugs!!

Anonymous said...

My mouth is actually watering over here!!! yum! Must make this soon!

Davene Grace said...

Anne - Velveeta is a processed cheese food that comes as a block, wrapped in foil and then put in a box. It's about as unhealthy as you can get, I expect; but it melts down nice and creamy, and makes this mac & cheese delicious. Does it sound like anything you have over there?

Unknown said...

Yum! I love Mac and Cheese. The creamier the better it is.

Tammy said...

I am going to have to try this recipe...I actually bought some last night in an effort to get a quick meal on the table since it was late. The kids loved it and said we should make some. Yum!

Sarah-Anne said...

yummy!! get in my belly, mac and cheese. it doesn't help that your M&C post came at a time when i'm really craving a southern lunch at my church. ;)