Saturday, May 28, 2011

Dear 16-Year-Old Me

"I don't want to see a new blog post from you when I get up tomorrow morning," my dad told me this evening after supper.

With 11 guests expected for lunch tomorrow, in addition to our normal 8, he knew, after looking around my messy kitchen, that I had my evening's work cut out for me and didn't need to stay up late because of any kind of obligation to blog.  So, when he told me he didn't want to see a new blog post, I suppose that was his way of saying, "I love you."

I love you, too, Dad; but I didn't quite follow your advice.  I know I don't have much time tonight, but it doesn't take hardly any time to post this--a video I've been meaning to post but then forgot about.  Today, at Riven Rock Park, while I slathered sunscreen on your grandsons while they danced in and out of the frigid mountain water, I thought of this video and remembered its vivid warning about skin cancer.  I guess I'd have to say that, in my life, the only warning about skin cancer that was more vivid than this was when you discovered a cancerous mole on your arm.  Thinking about that makes me exhale deeply with gratitude that yours was caught so early and dealt with so effectively.  It also inspires me to keep coating my boys--my "I-don't-want-to-stand-still," "don't-get-it-in-my-eyes!" boys--with sunscreen.


With all of that said, Dad, here's a video for you to watch when you wake up.  As for me?  I'm heading back to the kitchen.  ;-)

6 comments:

Miriam said...

Oh! I saw this on Facebook earlier this week. It's a must-see for everyone. Thanks for sharing it here!

Sarah-Anne said...

I saw this on Emily Joy's blog a couple weeks back & it hit me hard. I almost never wear sunscreen {except at the beach or places I know I'll be outside/in the sun than not} so thanks for the reminder, davene!! :)

Anonymous said...

Davene, I still love you even though you did not obey me.;)But you gave a very good message that is very important. As a physician I have seen melanoma on my own arm and on a number of people. Most are due to the sun but I also know of them being in the eye (my brother's) and on the bottom of the feet, but most are on sun exposed areas. I appreciate you protecting my grandson's but you didn't say that you lathered it on yourself. YOU ARE STILL YOUNG!

Your loving Dad

Anonymous said...

I have a friend that is dying from melanoma and seriously in tears over here. I will be posting this soon! Thanks for sharing! I need to find a good dermatologist here and get into see them regularly. I do however check my many moles and freckles every month!

Unknown said...

What a wonderful reminder to get your skin checked.

I hope your meal for many was super wonderful!

Davene Grace said...

But, Dad, I DID put sunscreen on myself! I just forgot to mention that in this post. :)