Friday, May 18, 2012

To Fill a Need

I was trying so hard to finish Moriah's birth story tonight, but I couldn't do it.  The pictures - scads of them - are ready and in the post, and the words were pouring forth; but there is just so much to say!  Maybe tomorrow I'll actually be able to complete it?  I'm so sorry it's taken this long.  :(

Meanwhile, here's a tidbit from an Edgar Guest poem I've been pondering.  The name of the poem is "A Plea," and here is what stood out to me:

God grant me faith to stand on guard,
  Uncheered, unspoke, alone,
And see behind such duty hard
  My service to the throne.
Whate'er my task, be this my creed:
I am on earth to fill a need.

Methinks the world would be a better place if each of us were to realize that we're here to fill a need...not to have our own needs filled.  Of course, as we meet the needs of others, we find our own needs cared for as well; but if we make filling our needs the primary goal, we'll find them strangely unmet.

Oh, how this could revolutionize marriages, if only husbands and wives would grasp this simple, yet difficult, principle of "I am on earth to fill a need"!

No comments: