Friday, May 4, 2012

First Daughters

It occurred to me recently that in my close family, all the women are first daughters.  Not necessarily the actual firstborn of the family (although that is sometimes the case), but we are all the first daughters to be physically born to our mothers.  Even me, the fourth and baby of the family--I am, in this sense, a first daughter, too.

Consider this list:
~ my mother, firstborn of three
~ my sister Donna, my oldest sibling, firstborn of her birth mother (and adopted by my parents when she was an infant)
~ me, the first biological daughter of my parents
~ Moriah, obviously the first daughter
~ my brother David's wife Lori, firstborn of two
~ my brother Doug's wife Lisa, only child
~ Donna's daughter Sheena, first daughter (although she has an older brother)
~ David's daughter Elizabeth, first daughter (although she has an older and a younger brother)

On Jeff's side:
~ his mother, only child
~ his sister Kim, only daughter (with three brothers)
~ his niece Hannah, only daughter (with one brother)
~ his niece Megan, only daughter (with one brother)

I do not know about his two sisters-in-law, as far as their birth order and family composition.  But other than that, every single one of the women in my family is a first daughter.

What does it mean?  I have no idea!  ;-)  I suppose it's just part of the entirely useless knowledge that's rolling around in my head!  (Another example is this: none of my children have an "e" in their first name, but all of them have an "e" in their middle name.  See?  Useless knowledge!)  ;-)

Here's something worth thinking about though:  the very special bond between my mother and my daughter, two of my favorite first daughters.  :)
 These two women are oh-so-precious to me.  Unspeakably so.
My heart fills and quivers and aches at the sight of them together.  Surely, my cup of blessings overflows.  And now, so do my eyes...  :)

4 comments:

Valerie said...

Hmm. That's interesting. :)
Love the pictures of your two special ladies :)

Anonymous said...

It could be the late hour.. but reading that made my brain hurt.. I knew what you meant.. but man I was having a hard time thinking through it :-P Love those pictures!!! :-)

Miriam said...

Davene, these pictures are ones Moriah will treasure for years to come. And I know you will, too. They are so beautiful.

Homeschool on the Croft said...

More photos for you to treasure. These are beautiful photos of your mum and her granddaughter... oh, I bet she *loves* saying that word. My GRANDDAUGHTER!!