Sunday, May 13, 2012

The Most Special Mother's Day

Every year, Mother's Day gets more and more special.  As my number of children increases, my appreciation for my own mother grows, as does my thankfulness for the good gift God gave me by placing me as the daughter of my mother and as the mother of my children.  I am part of a line of devoted mothers, and I don't take that for granted.

So each year gets better--not because of the extras like breakfast in bed, fancy flower bouquets, beautiful jewelry, or other gifts (there was none of that this year, or any year, for that matter)--but because of the meaningful nature of this day and the opportunity to reflect upon that.  I have not forgotten the years when I longed to be a mother but had no children...and the ache that threatened to consume my heart on this holiday during those years.  I remember...and am thankful for where God has brought me.

Despite the special nature of each of the last 10 Mother's Days, this year might qualify as the best Mother's Day.  For one thing, for the first time, I held a daughter in my arms on this special holiday.  Of course, it's incredibly wonderful to hold a son in one's arms on Mother's Day, too, but now to hold a girl-child--a potential future mother--lends extra meaning to this day.
 (These two photos were taken by Tobin, by the way; he was thrilled to be allowed to hold the camera and take some pictures.)  :)
It definitely was a lot of fun to choose a frilly, lacy dress for Moriah to wear today.  I rejoiced in her femininity!
But this year held another reason that made this day so special.  For the first time on a Mother's Day, I was together with both my mother and my mother-in-law!
Last year, the only females around were my mother and I.  This year, we doubled the number of females - hooray!  :)
I'm so thankful for the two women who stand beside me in these photos.  I know that, to this day, both of these women pray for me and my family.  Do you know how comforting that is?  As Robert Brault said, "If you have a mom, there is nowhere you are likely to go where a prayer has not already been."  Here's another of his quotes that makes me smile, mostly because I can see the kernel of truth in it:  "Eventually you realize that the reason God didn't always answer your prayers is that He was answering your mom's prayers."  :)

The influence of these two women on my life--whether directly, as in the case of my mother, or indirectly, as in the case of the mother of my husband--is immeasurable.  I could never say thank you enough.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful mother's day! Looks like you celebrated it just like me.. enjoying your family!

Unknown said...

This sounds like a wonderful day!

Miss Emily K. said...

I love the pictures :)

Will you be doing the next part of her birth story soon?

Jo Ann said...

Oh LOVE! The pictures of the three generations are wonderful! I have really been wanting to do that with Abigail, my mother, and grandmother. And the quotes were perfect at the end of the post. :)

Davene Grace said...

Emily - good question! I really, REALLY hope to get it done soon. Maybe by the end of this week???

Thanks for asking...and for being interested. I'm honored! :)