Friday, August 16, 2013

Why We Had a Picnic

The temperature was a chilly 66 degrees by the time we were done - not exactly the normal balmy August weather you'd prefer for a picnic.  But despite the coolness, we ate supper outside on our patio tonight.  Why?

Because of this...
 The big project of the day was Operation Turn Two Bushels of Apples into Applesauce; and as the afternoon wore on and evening drew near, I realized I needed help with supper.  I really wanted to push through and finish the project in one day, but pausing to prepare food for supper would steal away time that I needed.  Plus, the table was occupied.  What to do?

Simple!  Call Jeff, ask him to bring home subs from Subway, and eat outside on the picnic table!
So I did...and he did...and we did!  Problem solved, thanks to my hero.  :)
 Yes, that's my mom wearing a wool sweater, trying to stay warm.  Yes, that's Tobin barefoot and shirtless, not bothered at all by the cool temps.
 Moriah didn't seem too bothered either.  :)

This may have been our one and only picnic supper on the patio for this summer; but even though it only happened because of a last minute scramble to accommodate my applesauce-making, I'm really glad we did it.

I'm even more glad that the applesauce project is done; and the two bushels of Summer Rambo apples that were in my garage this morning have been transformed into 35 quarts of applesauce, ready for my cellar shelves, and a big bowl of applesauce in the frig, for eating now.  That is a good day's work.  :)

5 comments:

sally said...

You were really working to do two bushels in one day! I commend you for recognizing your limits and priorities and having Subway for supper. Way to go!

Homeschool on the Croft said...

What a wonderful day's work! I love that you were able to have a 'takeaway' supper, and I love how often your mum and dad are part of the children's lives ... What a blessing - for the oldies, and the kiddos.

Jennifer said...

I'm intrigued! How do you eat the applesauce? Like jam on bread? or Would you just eat it on its own?

Looks great though. What a lot to accomplish in a day! :D

Davene Grace said...

Hi, Jennifer!

We eat applesauce all by itself! :) We open a quart or two, pour it into a serving bowl, sometimes sprinkle cinnamon on it (but usually not), and serve it just like that. It makes an easy side dish, and my boys LOVE it. I do, too! :)

~ Davene

Jennifer said...

Sounds great - I stew apples sometimes for breakfast, or to add to ground rice etc, but tend to leave it with a lumpier consistency, but think yours looks real good.