Monday, August 12, 2013

When the Lady of the House Gets a Wild Hair...

Three summers ago, Jeff got a wild hair.  It hit him about 10:00 one night, drove him to get out a power tool, and resulted in him knocking two holes in the wall between our kitchen and living room.  More of that story is here and here.  :)

Tonight I got a wild hair.  It hit me only slightly earlier in the evening than Jeff's had hit him, but the only power tool it drove me to get out was a mixer.  And I didn't knock any holes in any walls.  ;-)

You see, this is the week of the fair - the good ol' Rockingham County Fair that I love so much.  For the past few years, I've entered a few things in the fair; but this year, as the fair approached, I had made up my mind to not even think about entering something.  After all, our August was extra full already, and the thought of deciding what to enter - and then preparing that item, whatever it was - made a big cloud of stress suddenly appear over my head.  It wasn't worth it, I told myself.

But tonight, I suddenly realized that Josiah could make some cookies and we could run them over to the fairgrounds tomorrow morning during the time slot for baked goods drop-off.

And then, it dawned on me that David could make some cookies, too - why not? - and we could enter them.  The boys are in different age categories, so there's no direct competition involved if they both enter.  :)

But my wild hair wasn't finished yet.  It spoke up one more time and whispered, "Why don't you make some cookies to enter, too?"

Might as well!  :)

I gave in to the wild hair, got out a mixing bowl, and started whipping up a batch of my favorite coconut cookies.  Then I coached David as he made forgotten cookies (he finished the job and licked the spoon at 11:49 or so, which was SO COOL!  he got to stay up until almost midnight, just to make cookies for the fair!!).  :)  And soon I'll set my alarm to wake up at 6:00 a.m. to watch Josiah as he makes congo bars.

(Maybe I should mention that I also discovered, after the project had already begun, that I didn't have enough flour in the house to complete it.  Guess who went to the grocery store about 11:00 tonight?  My knight in shining armor, that's who.)  ;-)

You know the best thing about all of this?  No matter whether any of us get a ribbon or not, we get to have three kinds of yummy homemade cookies in the house!   Maybe that was my motivation all along.  ;-)

You know, I think I should listen to my wild hairs more often!!  ;-)

3 comments:

sally said...

You are making me feel lazy! I confess that this morning, I just laid in bed a little bit longer, not because I was so exhausted, not because it wasn't time to get up, not because I had nothing to do, but because I had so much to do when I got up that I didn't know where to start! I was just procrastinating getting up and making a decision on what to do and doing it. Anyway, I'm so happy you took the plunge and are doing fun things with your kids. Enjoy those cookies! (And I hope you all win!)

The Coderlambian said...

LOVE that you went to the effort! Not only for your kiddos, but also yourself!
I decided last year, that I should try to enter something...anything...at least one thing each year. I realized that the fair is one institution in our culture that honors..gives awards to domestic pursuits! And realized I needed to support it by participation for that reason alone! I was encouraged that I needed to improve my skills...even though I've been married nearly 25 years...I have LOTS to learn. and I wanted to make certain I encouraged my daughters that even now, I was willing to improve those skills!. My boys and girls did cooking activities and made cookies etc....
I'm jazzed to hear ya'll doing the same thing!
Enjoy your wild hairs!

Anonymous said...

Our starts this week too and last week I remembered that I wanted the girls to enter some stuff. All the registration is done on-line now so I wrote down all the classes the girls could enter and then went to the online registration form. Closed on August 2. Boo! Some how I need to schedule "Fair Projects" onto the calendar for next spring so we're ready.

Katie from mikeandkatie1 (I still can't sign into Blogger from this computer.)