Friday, March 1, 2013

They Were Right. It DOES Get Better!

When David was born, Josiah was not quite three years old; and I thought I might possibly never be able to leave the house again with just me and my kids.  My TWO kids.

This evening, I took my kids to our local children's museum (it's free on the first Friday evening of the month!)...by myself.  My FIVE kids.  

Clearly, something changed.  :)

I write this, not to pat myself on the back for being such a great mom, but simply to admit that they were right--that elusive "they" who always seem to know everything.  In this case, they told me that, although having a baby means an earthquake hits the whole family, in time the world does stop rocking...and everyone adjusts to the new normal...and it really does get easier.  Really.  :)

While looking through my Drafts folder recently, I found a post with these pictures in it that I had never gotten around to posting; but I remember that when I put these photos in it many months ago, my thoughts were going along the same lines as they are tonight.  Even though they're old pictures, I'll go ahead and post them, if for no other reason than to remind myself, when hard times come (which they always do), that things will get better.  Children who bicker at times will learn to have more and more times of getting along.  Children who are ensnared by selfish immaturity will grow in demonstrating mature self-sacrifice.  Children who still need so much hands-on care (especially my younger three) will someday become completely independent.

Life has gotten easier, and (even more encouraging when I'm worn out from pouring myself out for my kids), it will continue to get easier.  After all, they say it...so it must be true.  ;-)

This first set of pictures was taken WAY back on December 22, 2011.  All four boys were happily entertained with blocks while hanging out in my room one morning...



I'm not sure why there was a bag of lentils on my bed, but there it is.  :)
Josiah made this "sculpture" of the cross and empty tomb...

...with the stone being rolled away...

...and the tomb being shown to be empty!  :)  (That green block was the ledge on which they laid Jesus' body.)

Another set of pictures I had put in this post was from August 22, 2012; and I'll confess that seeing all the grass and leaves in these photos--as well as the sunshine and bare feet and legs--makes me nearly turn green with envy.  ;-)  As always, I am longing for warm weather and the lush growth that comes with it!  :)
One of the things that helps life get easier is...
...having children who are old enough to help with their younger siblings.
David is a real blessing in this area.  :)
The next time I feel overwhelmed--whether it be by the care I need to give my children, the attention that household tasks are demanding, a stretch of busy activities in the schedule, or anything else--rather than throw my hands up in the air and exclaim, "I'm never going to be on top of things again!", I hope I remember what they say...

...it does get better.

4 comments:

Mike and Katie said...

I remember when I just had two this second time around and reading about a mom who took her five out regularly. "How does she do it? Isn't it just easier to stay at home?" But now I know. Staying at home with bored older kids is much harder. I take the older girls to the rink or park just so I can get some quiet snuggles with Julia. :)

Anonymous said...

Cute new design! I love those swinging pictures.. not sure if it is because of the green grass and bare feet or the big brother being such a helper but it brings a big old grin to my face!

Stephanie B. said...

I love your new blog header, especially the picture of you!

Aliesha Caldwell | Feathers in Our Nest said...

Thank you for this encouragement! It's nice to know there's light at the end of the tunnel, so to speak. :) Your new header is so cute!