Monday, March 25, 2013

Recipe Box - Coconut Cookies

Snow days and home-baked cookies just go together...
...so yesterday, as we enjoyed our second snowy Sunday in a row...
 ...and watched the world outside be transformed into this...
 ...I pulled out my favorite cookbook, turned to the cookie section, and decided to make these.  :)
 Coconut cookies.  Warm from the oven, soft in the middle, they were a perfect addition to our cozy Sunday evening.
That is, if you like coconut.  All of us, except for one particular seven-year-old, do, so it's fair to say that these were a hit with six-sevenths of my family.  :)  I can't tell you how many Jeff ate.
 I can't tell you because I can't count that high!!  ;-)  I was so happy that he was so happy with them; it's a pleasure to cook for those who appreciate it.  :)
 There's nothing tricky about making these cookies.  Here is the very simple recipe!

What You Need:
1 1/2 c. butter
1 c. sugar
2 c. brown sugar
3 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
1 tsp. coconut flavoring
2 Tbsp. water
4 1/2 c. flour
1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 1/2 tsp. cream of tartar
3/4 tsp. salt
2 c. angel flake coconut

What You Do:
Cream together butter and sugars, then add eggs, vanilla, coconut flavoring, and water.  Beat until fluffy.  Sift together flour, baking soda, cream of tartar, and salt, then add to dough, mixing well.  Finally, mix in coconut.

Drop onto greased baking sheet.  Bake in preheated 350 degree oven for 10-12 minutes (I actually did 9 minutes, and it was perfect.)  Do not overbake.

Yield: 6-7 dozen

4 comments:

Unknown said...

These really sound wonderful. What a great treat to have on a snowy day!

Sally said...

Those are so good! They are the favorite of Gail's husband, James, and I really like them too. I'm glad you had a great snowy Sunday.

Homeschool on the Croft said...

Well, we don't have snow, but I'm all for making these cookies today. My ideal combination of yummie-ness :)

And yes, I love making for those who appreciate it (aka, who will gobble it all up ;) )!

Margie said...

Yum!!! These look delicious and EASY. Thanks for the recipe, Davene. But seriously, I can't BELIEVE the snow.