Friday, March 8, 2013

Parenting Surprises

You know how it is: no matter how hard you try, you are never fully prepared for parenthood.  No matter how many books you read or how many other moms and dads you talk to, you never really know what to expect, and some surprises along the way are inevitable.  Like...

...the unimaginable, inexpressible amount of deep, powerful, tender, all-consuming love you feel for your children.  I thought I knew what this would be like, but it's even more than that.

Or...

...the protectiveness that can turn an ordinary, mostly-calm, peace-loving woman into the most ferocious mama bear you could ever hope to (not) meet.  I knew I'd want to protect my children, but I didn't know I'd feel it to this level.

I could go on, and I'm sure you could, too; but for today, I'll just add a little more to the list.

I didn't know that my kids would fall asleep in so many (MANY!) strange positions and situations.
I didn't know it would make me smile every single time.
 I didn't know I would take so many pictures of them sleeping.
 I didn't know that each time I found them in some new sleeping predicament, it would remind me to appreciate their creativity and the unexpectedness that they bring to life.
 I didn't know that the little things--a stuffed animal lying on the floor, a pair of legs in footy pajamas--would turn out to be the really big things.
I didn't know...

...but now?  I do.  :)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

These are such sweet pictures.

Heart of Wisdom Academy said...

Hi Davene,

I just LOVE your new blog heading picture!!!! Your radiance exudes what every mother desires joy, peace, and contentment in the midst of hard work. I'm glad your family is well
:-D